Steering Wheel Question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mattg
Old School!

Steering Wheel Question

Post by mattg » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:27 pm

When I got home I noticed that my steering wheel around the horn button was cracked next to the horn button and the crack proceeded to run down the cylinder. Is this a cosmetic crack or something that should be paid more attention? Im not sure of what material the steering wheel is made of - some type of cast or mold. I just dont want to turn the wheel and have nothing happen while Im driving. The steering wheel turns fine and freely. If the steering wheel needs to be replaced what is the procedure for taking it off and where do I find a new / used steering wheel. Has this ever happened to anyone else. It sure looks like more off a cosmetic crack that does not affect the connection of the wheel to the cylinder but I am not an expert and would like to hear what you think. Thanks for any input
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:17 pm

You talking about the hub? The spokes and rim of the wheel have a steel skeleton not sure of the hub. Common sense says the spoke skeleton would have to anchor to something in the hub. I would guess that the hub is also steel internally but can't say without a doubt.

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:34 am

Cracks are cosmetic. Steering wheel hub is a surprisingly soft potmetal to allow it to break in an accident. Rim and spokes are steel.
Colin
(don't use the steering wheel as a launch into the driver's seat)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks for the information - that is what I wanted to hear. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt rolling down the road and unable to turn. If I did want to replace the wheel down the line is there anyone that would fix the existing one, do they sell aftermarket, or would it be best to try and find a used one.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:23 am

There are peopl that restore steering wheels. But it costs a couple hundred bucks. Better to try and find a really good used one. If you find two, let me know. Mine also has some unsightly cracks.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:05 pm

Im going to do some research and see if I can find any used ones or a place that restores them at a reasonable price but as long as it isnt a safety factor I probably wont do anything unless I can find a reasonably priced solution. I'll let you know sluggo if I find anything out.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:13 pm

mattg wrote: I'll let you know sluggo if I find anything out.
What did you find?
Colin

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 am

the places that restrore them are all a few hundred dollars. I bought a used 78 soft wheel from Karl in Fresno for like 20 bucks plus shipping. The steering wheel is in perfect condition and I cant wait to put it on when I start driving the bus again.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:48 am

I used the por-15 putty, but I don't think it's that much different than the plastic putty t you can get at any hardware store, you knead it and it heats up, you've got a few minutes to work with it before it sets.

So it's just like working with plaster. Cut an upside down v into the crack in the steering wheel plastic. Give yourself a cavity to fill. Clean it out well. Mix the putty and jam it into the crevice, trying to get as close to your eventual shape as possible. Let set. Sand, starting with rough grit, I worked my way from 80 to 400. Used Krylon black. Multiple coats. Worked pretty well.