back to stock

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

regis101
Getting Hooked!

back to stock

Post by regis101 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Sigh... Today I removed the 2.5 spindles, put the stock spindles on and raised the rear up one notch to return to stock height. Sits level. Major difference. It's like a mile in the air.

Gonna have to get an alignment. I put the notch on the eccentrics straight ahead. I can tell the toe is off slightly on one side by eye balling the dog leg to the tire. Must have been a small flaw in the dropped spindle to pull the toe off like that. No big. Nates stuff is good quality.

I wanted to be like the kewl kids. Lowered and whatnot. The bus/campr would bottom out quite frequently when loaded for camping. Even when empty aggressive driving would make it bottom out. Function over form for this Bay campr.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:15 pm

I won't say good to hear cause I know there are differing tastes out there.

A stock bus is a nice thing to have, it works right out of the box and in almost any situation.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:22 pm

2" of travel is not enough. Especially when the fam is inside.

* Just took it out for a few miles. Did some freeway driving also. It actually tracks well. But I won't be satisfied until I get an alignment. The steering wheel is not centered. It's also is a bit quieter. I'm sure most of that came from the rear spring plates being in the proper position in relation to the stops.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:55 pm

A lowered rig is a city rig. Pavement, asphalt. Any camping that doesn't hit dirt and gravel roads is KOA. Not my idea of camping. I've pushed brush worried about grass fires from my hot muffler surprising bikers driving through the clearing they've stopped at, fearing few forest service roads with the stock clearance of my camper.

Function.

Can't get into fretting every manhole cover I might cross. I've never been that trendy or stylin'.

Uhhh, one of the reasons I run the air-cooleds I have that run. I'm getting closer to the third. Dialing in the second.

They're just awsome cars as they are.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:37 am

I agree. Function over form.

I will admit that with the 2.5 drop it (looked) good. The tires filled the wheelwells nicely.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:19 am

A bus is like a jeep in the campy-lands. You'll love the increased ground clearance and amazing low gear traction. You did the right thing. Use that sucker!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Yepper. They were designed to be a world car for any (or no) roads. I like that.

Rob

crosswind
I'm New!

Post by crosswind » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Make sure that whoever does the alignment does not simply 'set the toe and let it go.'

Since your replaced the rear bushings, the camber and toe are most likely going to be out of spec. Get a printout of what the before and after readings are.

Do you have a non-adjustable tie rod on the front? If so, there is a correct way to adjust the front toe that is in Bentley.
68 deluxe
71 deluxe
79 westy

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:16 am

The shop I use is pretty much German car specific. They have a newer alignment rack that does the four wheels.

I did make marks on everything but I won't rest until the alignment gets done.