steering box question on '76 2.0L

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deadaheadub
I'm New!

steering box question on '76 2.0L

Post by deadaheadub » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:54 pm

I couldn't find much in Muir or Bentley to answer this question I have. I just recently acquired my bus from my brother; it was my dad's and has been in the family since he bought it in 1980. I'm trying to catch up fixing all the things that have deteriorated since my bro had it. I noticed the steering box is leaking. What does that mean? It seems to steer just fine. What do I need to do about it? Repack it? How? Replace it? Thanks

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: steering box question

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 pm

deadaheadub wrote:I couldn't find much in Muir or Bentley to answer this question I have. I just recently acquired my bus from my brother; it was my dad's and has been in the family since he bought it in 1980. I'm trying to catch up fixing all the things that have deteriorated since my bro had it. I noticed the steering box is leaking. What does that mean? It seems to steer just fine. What do I need to do about it? Repack it? How? Replace it? Thanks
Commonly, the pitman arm shaft gets wobbly due to chronic mis-adjustment or neglect and wallows out the seal along the side of the box. There is also a seal at the steering flange on the top of the box. This rarely leaks copiously being up there at the top. Sometimes the cover plate gasket leaks a little. Worthy of ignoring. Check for proper quantity of gear oil at the fill plug, also at the top of the box where you can barely find it. Clean around the plug. Then fill-er-up. That's the rule.

Keep it well-adjusted. It is in the Bentley. So is disassembly for the early boxes. Please put your model year in the subject header as you post in the appropriate forum... that will help us develop a search function that actually helps.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:10 am

Thanks, Colin. Got me a project now at the top of Saturday's to-do list. If the seal is shot, are there replacements?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:41 pm

deadaheadub wrote:Thanks, Colin. Got me a project now at the top of Saturday's to-do list. If the seal is shot, are there replacements?
A little late to the response, but yes, seals are available. Gear guts are not available on the later boxes.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles