Finally had my Westy aligned

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Finally had my Westy aligned

Post by Bleyseng » Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 pm

I put new tires on my 77 Westy this fall and I finally went ahead and had a shop do a four wheel alignment/suspension inspection. Wow, what a difference as it tracks perfectly down the road as before it didn't. Everything adjusted back to stock specs, the balljoints, tierods, read bushings are all in good shape....Whew as I just finished the Ghia suspension rebuild and didn't want to dive into the Westy.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

JLT
Old School!

Re: Finally had my Westy aligned

Post by JLT » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:05 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 pm
I put new tires on my 77 Westy this fall and I finally went ahead and had a shop do a four wheel alignment/suspension inspection. Wow, what a difference as it tracks perfectly down the road as before it didn't.
I did the same thing with George a year or so ago when I noticed that the tires were wearing oddly. The difference was remarkable. And it didn't cost nearly as much as I thought it might.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:37 am

Getting new tires and an alignment on the Westy today (old tires still good, but are moving to another bus).
I remember being pleased with the results of my last alignment, but it has been 7 years and a lot of rough Michigan roads since. Figure its time for another.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:21 am

A follow up on this. The new tires (Hankook Vantra LT) are very civilized compared to the BF Goodrich TA tires they replaced. My wife commented that the bus rides smoother than her 2013 Ford C-Max now. The BF Goodrich tires have miles left on them, they are moving to the '79.

They checked my alignment, and said it was still spot on. So somehow 7 years and 35,000 miles of driving, most of them in Michigan, did not destroy my alignment.
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:12 am

drober23 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:21 am
A follow up on this. The new tires (Hankook Vantra LT) are very civilized compared to the BF Goodrich TA tires they replaced. My wife commented that the bus rides smoother than her 2013 Ford C-Max now. The BF Goodrich tires have miles left on them, they are moving to the '79.

They checked my alignment, and said it was still spot on. So somehow 7 years and 35,000 miles of driving, most of them in Michigan, did not destroy my alignment.

Were the BF Goodrich cast off the '75 due to poor reviews?
Colin?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:42 am

No. I like them for what they are. If I plan to do any off-road trekking they will go right back on. That said, they came off because they are loud, and I drive almost exclusively on the highway. I'm planning on driving the bus several thousand miles this summer with over 80% of that on the highway.

Additionally, we are taking my sister-in-law with us on the eclipse excursion. I thought a quieter ride would be better for all involved. Thus the stock exhaust and highway tires.
DJ

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:18 pm

In regards to the BFGs, I've had them on my bus for several years. No problems. Good grip in the rain. Didn't notice noise. Not as good in mud/snow as the old vredstines. I don't think they make them anymore. We did a lot of off highway , heavy load and no flats.