Flennor Ball Joints (Correction!)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Flennor Ball Joints (Correction!)

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Busdepot now offers Flennor brand ball joints. Does anybody know if they are any good?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Fiennor Ball Joints

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:35 pm

"Flennor" maybe? If so, this is what I know:
1. Flennor is a German company, for whatever that's worth these days.
2. I have some Flennor FI-rated low-permeability fuel hose, It appears to be of high quality.
3. Search Google for "Flennor ball joints", and this old Samba thread pops up: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... w=previous

Best 'o luck.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Fiennor Ball Joints

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:42 pm

They were reported to be too "tight" and causing binding when I did some research on what ball joints to buy. I've also discovered that most "German" company parts are no longer made in Germany but rather, where the cheapest labor spots are on the planet. We only need to look at the deterioration of Bosch quality as case in point in this trend.

I ended up selecting Nakata ball joints after research on this site, The Samba and other internet information. I installed them myself and have had no issues w/them in 2 years. Time will tell if the ball joints and boots will last.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Flennor Ball Joints (Correction!)

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:58 am

Yes, they are Flennor. I corrected the posting. That's what I get for using my iPhone without my glasses!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen