Shocks

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:52 am

Ritter wrote:Oh GLORIOUS HANDLING!!
. . . and to think that when these cars were new, they all handled like that.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:03 pm

I removed the dropped spindles and put the rear back to stock settings.

Left the KONI reds at 1 turn fr and rr. I'll probaly put the fronts at full soft or 1/2 turn when I grease the front end. Need a four wheel alignment but it's not bad. Doesn't pull or wander but I can tell the toe is off on one side. Put the eccentrics straight ahead. Rear camber is much better.

I too did the Happy Dance. Much better ride. Much quieter. More confident road feel.

Loaded for camping with the fam made for some scary rides with just a 2.5 drop.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Life from the cheap seats :flower:

Me shocks are toast...set of KYB's would have set me back $200.00 from busdepot .... ordered a set of Monroe's for $86.00 all in from O'Reilley's. Figger new ones have gots to be better than my toasted ones...Anyone have any experience with Monroes?

...Oh yeah, with the money saved, I'll get a new set of front tires (proper load rating of course) with the money I saved... one's on there now are badly cupped from toasted shocks. :joker:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:40 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote: Anyone have any experience with Monroes?
None whatsoever. Let us know how they hold up.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 pm

Replaced the set of shot KYB's that were on it this weekend with the Monroes.... gotta love working on a non rusted CA bus... job took a grand total of an hour. Not sure about longevity, but I CAN say it rides and handles much better. No more nose diving when I stop, much more sure footedness around corners. We'll have to see about longevity...
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:58 pm

I replaced some monroes about 2 years ago - I really cant tell you much except they were shot when I took them off. I have no idea how long they were on.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:04 am

Just installed four new KYB GR2s, on the hunch that the shocks were shot. Wellllll....3 out of the four that came off offered no resistance, none, when I compressed them by hand. One though, offered a tiny bit.
New ones on and wowie! from no shocks to shocks is one giant step for buskind!
But the real news I wanted to share was the pricing from this place; check it out:

http://www.autopartsway.ca

That's the Canadian version, and the US one is:

http://www.autopartsway.com

For Canadians, the good news is that shipping is from within Canada so no duty/border crossing/courier fee crap.

I subsequently ordered other parts from these guys, and their prices have always been the best I could find anywhere. Witness a clutch kit (friction disc, clutch plate, pilot bearing, alignment tool, and throwout bearing) for our '87 Mazda pickup at $178 Cdn, where the best price I could find elsewhere was ~$260. And I didn't have to drive anywhere to pick it up.

Looking forward to spring when the bus comes out for a smoooooth ride.

Jim

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:35 pm

grandfatherjim wrote:Just installed four new KYB GR2s, on the hunch that the shocks were shot. Wellllll....3 out of the four that came off offered no resistance, none, when I compressed them by hand. One though, offered a tiny bit.
New ones on and wowie! from no shocks to shocks is one giant step for buskind!
But the real news I wanted to share was the pricing from this place; check it out:

http://www.autopartsway.ca

That's the Canadian version, and the US one is:

http://www.autopartsway.com

For Canadians, the good news is that shipping is from within Canada so no duty/border crossing/courier fee crap.

I subsequently ordered other parts from these guys, and their prices have always been the best I could find anywhere. Witness a clutch kit (friction disc, clutch plate, pilot bearing, alignment tool, and throwout bearing) for our '87 Mazda pickup at $178 Cdn, where the best price I could find elsewhere was ~$260. And I didn't have to drive anywhere to pick it up.

Looking forward to spring when the bus comes out for a smoooooth ride.

Jim
Hey Jim, it has been a while, many adventures since I last saw you.

Did your exhaust system stay on the engine all summer or did it fall off?
ColinDrillBabyDrill

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks for the link grandfatherjim! I will need shocks soon.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 pm

We have put on 3000-3500 miles since the Day of Long Drilling in Syracuse. The exhaust system stayed on all summer, with one go-round with the torque wrench at 180 inch-pounds after a few more heat soaks than it should have been. Just one stud seemed like it might have loosened a bit, but hard to tell since I backed each off before re-torquing.
Now, after all that, doesn't the guy up the road call me up wondering if I'm interested in a fuel-injected engine with not many miles since a VW rebuild for $300. I'm thinking of going for it. Not sure of the year though. It doesn't have the fuel injection computer though, but I have one, from a 75. Are they all the same?
Too much to do...not much will happen on the bus till after winter I guess. One day though, the day will break brightly as the crystalline snow of spring reflects the sun in glittery sparkles, the sap will flow in the maples, and Will We Ever have the urge to fire up Jerry and go for a cruise. That will prompt a flurry of repair activity in preparation for The Road, and then we'll head off to anyplace, with our new shocks, and our quiet exhaust. All quite soft and quiet cushy comfort.
Jim

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Hippie wrote:Thanks for the link grandfatherjim! I will need shocks soon.
Hope it helps. They'll have a limited selection of stuff for our old buses likely but I guess most of us have something newer to use as a daily driver that will need parts too, so hey.
Jim

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:52 am

Oh yeah, I was poking around in there for an hour or more.
...Windows shopping ya know.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:54 am

I bought kyb's from here for a friends bus, great price on them:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 am

grandfatherjim wrote: I have one, from a 75. Are they all the same?
75 was the first year for fuel injection and was a little different for the following years. So long as you have the complete F/I system, it should work.
At least that's what I've been told. (you may have to do some tweeking, since 75's were 1.8 liters vs later models with 2.0 liters.)

I'm in the opposite situation. I have a 75 and bought a what I'm told is a complete F/I setup out of a 78.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

patayres
I'm New!

Post by patayres » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Looking at some new shocks & leaning towards KYB GR-2 up front and gas-adjust in the rear. Could someone please clarify for me whether or not to also order the KIT107 mounting kit? Bus Depot sells the kit but lists them as applicable for the GR-2 Rears only. Won't be buying through BD but do see the kit available other places.
1975 Westfalia Helsinki - 1800 EFI w/ Pertronix
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp