So why do I need to adjust my brakes every 2 weeks?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

So why do I need to adjust my brakes every 2 weeks?

Post by James Dwan » Tue May 18, 2010 9:33 am

I am suspecting the drums at this point. This has been going on for a while actually. Last month I replaced the shoes and the adjusting stars. Also replaced the pads up front for what that's worth.

Method: jack up vehicle, put in neutral, take off E-brake tighten front adjusters until wheel does not move. Back off on adjusters a couple of clicks so the wheel moves but I can feel and hear resistance.
1 to 2 weeks later repeat :pale:

Any suggestions?
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 am

Make sure those little metal tabs are holding down the stars. Also, I have to readjust the brakes after driving the car around the block the 1st time. Things settle in right away.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed May 19, 2010 6:32 am

So if they aren't I would need a new backing plate, no? Has anyone been able to bend them back into place?
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 19, 2010 3:44 pm

James Dwan wrote:So if they aren't I would need a new backing plate, no? Has anyone been able to bend them back into place?
Go adjust your brakes AGAIN. Get a small flat chisel and tap the edge of the anchor in between the star teeth valleys so as to raise a little divet that helps to stop the star wheel from turning. Dab the valley at the divet with some of your wife's fingernail polish (the red stuff I know you have it, I put some on the timing scale), and see if the mark is gone the next time your brakes seem to be down again.

The Road Warrior used to require frequent brake adjustments after new shoes, because they would have to wear into the major groove in the drum (half a million miles will do that).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed May 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Get a small flat chisel and tap the edge of the anchor in between the star teeth valleys so as to raise a little divet that helps to stop the star wheel from turning. Dab the valley at the divet with some of your wife's fingernail polish (the red stuff I know you have it, I put some on the timing scale), and see if the mark is gone the next time your brakes seem to be down again.
You got some splaining to do... anchor? Not sure if you are talking about the slotted screw that lives inside the adjusting star well or the tab beneath it.
Can you draw me a picture? :flower:
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 20, 2010 8:48 pm

James Dwan wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Get a small flat chisel and tap the edge of the anchor in between the star teeth valleys so as to raise a little divet that helps to stop the star wheel from turning. Dab the valley at the divet with some of your wife's fingernail polish (the red stuff I know you have it, I put some on the timing scale), and see if the mark is gone the next time your brakes seem to be down again.
You got some splaining to do... anchor? Not sure if you are talking about the slotted screw that lives inside the adjusting star well or the tab beneath it.
Can you draw me a picture? :flower:
The anchor is that big hunk of iron that both adjusters fit into. The starwheels rotate inside of them. So, if you want to stop them from rotating because the little spring holder deals are long gone, you just look in the adjusting hole and you can see that hunk o' iron that the starwheels butt up against. Clang it with a chisel to dimple the surface that the starwheels thrust against to help hold them.
Or you can replace the backing plates.
Colin

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Fri May 21, 2010 5:56 am

Groovy man, I guess that it will make a bit more difficult for the star to rotate backwards but not too difficult to adjust. =D>
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm

James Dwan wrote:Groovy man, I guess that it will make a bit more difficult for the star to rotate backwards but not too difficult to adjust. =D>
Let me know if it works for you.
Colin

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 am

I ended up bending the little tabs back into position with needle nose pliers. I actually hear a click every time I rotate the stars now. Hopefully that will fix it.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

UPDATE:

Post by James Dwan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 am

So I bent the tabs and thought I was done but the brakes just didn't feel right. There was no air to speak of but I bled them again anyway. This was a weekly thing, adjusting, bleeding but they never felt "right."

So after watching the fireworks 3 weeks ago I move my Bus into the garage. There is brake fluid underneath the master cylinder. I looked and couldn't find out where it was coming from. We bled again the next evening and I watched the MC when the wife hit the brakes. A large amount of fluid dripped out. It was coming out of the center of the switch!

Evidently the fluid punched a hole in the plastic between the spade connectors. I replaced it with one that I had on the bench, checked the brake lights and went to bed.

a week later I notice my brake lights aren't working so I replace both switches. Brake lights work and the brakes feel "right" for the first time in a long time.

Question: could air get into my system through the switches but not allow fluid to escape?
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:57 am

also you can replace the rear brake assembly with the self adjusting unit off a Vanagon. I think the year is 86..I plan on doing that as I get sick of adjusting em too in my gravel driveway.. Ouch!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Oh that would be heaven, I'm sure my neighbors think I have no idea what I'm doing. Working on my Bus all the time :blackeye:
I'll look into that!

I drive 60 miles a day and those $#%!s in their sports cars make me hit my brakes a bit more than necessary...
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:57 pm

James Dwan wrote:Oh that would be heaven, I'm sure my neighbors think I have no idea what I'm doing. Working on my Bus all the time :blackeye:
I'll look into that!

I drive 60 miles a day and those $#%!s in their sports cars make me hit my brakes a bit more than necessary...
The switch plastic/shell interface could act like a one-way valve, under vacuum, it lets in air, under pressure it seals the plastic to the shell.

HotCol

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Bleyseng wrote:also you can replace the rear brake assembly with the self adjusting unit off a Vanagon. I think the year is 86..I plan on doing that as I get sick of adjusting em too in my gravel driveway.. Ouch!
I believe Karl (RIP) had an excellent article about this over on the other VW forum. Might want to take a look for it.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 am

I'll look for it. Thanks!
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe