Brake Bleeder Adapter

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Brake Bleeder Adapter

Post by Sluggo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Found this on eBay. Looks like it would hook up directly to the bleed screw and the screw into a jar. Wouldn't that cause bubbles?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:47 pm

no it won't cause bubbles. i use similar looking adapters - shop made - to bleed brakes. the adapter replaces the upper reservoir cap and there is a regulator inline. you only need 10 or so psi. it works perfectly.

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 pm

germansupplyscott wrote:no it won't cause bubbles. i use similar looking adapters - shop made - to bleed brakes. the adapter replaces the upper reservoir cap and there is a regulator inline. you only need 10 or so psi. it works perfectly.
Oh! So it's for a power bleeder? That makes more sense.

I just bought a Motive Power Bleeder. Get to use it for the first time tomorrow. New Toys! :geek:

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:15 pm

made my own. used an extra reservoir cap and VW vacuum hose. drill a hole in the cap that is just a bit too small for the hose to fit through, then make the hose fit through by squeezing and forcing it through. you only use 10 psi or less so you can hook it to an air supply in any number of hack ways. just remember to constantly check the reservoir level, other wise you get air in the system and have to start all over again. also works great for flushing the system. just keep bleeding each cylinder/caliper until the fluid runs clear instead of dark or even black. don't forget to keep checking the reservoir.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:19 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:made my own. used an extra reservoir cap and VW vacuum hose. drill a hole in the cap that is just a bit too small for the hose to fit through, then make the hose fit through by squeezing and forcing it through. you only use 10 psi or less so you can hook it to an air supply in any number of hack ways. just remember to constantly check the reservoir level, other wise you get air in the system and have to start all over again. also works great for flushing the system. just keep bleeding each cylinder/caliper until the fluid runs clear instead of dark or even black. don't forget to keep checking the reservoir.
Nice! I learned not to let the reservoir run dry the hard way the first time I ever bleed my brakes.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:made my own. used an extra reservoir cap and VW vacuum hose. drill a hole in the cap that is just a bit too small for the hose to fit through, then make the hose fit through by squeezing and forcing it through. you only use 10 psi or less so you can hook it to an air supply in any number of hack ways. just remember to constantly check the reservoir level, other wise you get air in the system and have to start all over again. also works great for flushing the system. just keep bleeding each cylinder/caliper until the fluid runs clear instead of dark or even black. don't forget to keep checking the reservoir.
I like to change colors of fluid too when doing a flush. There is a nice cobalt blue fluid which you can interchange with the usual clear fluid.
Colin

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Here's a link to another cheap alternative.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/ca ... /index.htm
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

hercdriver wrote: Here's a link to another cheap alternative.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/ca ... /index.htm
That just made my bookmarks list. Thanks!!!!!!
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Thats a great idea for those without a compressor.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Nice, I'll be modifying an unused stain/paint sprayer used for this very purpose. No more asking the wife to the garage to assist with brake bleeding. :prayer:
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy
aka the "Hoover Bit" repro guy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Mark wrote:Nice, I'll be modifying an unused stain/paint sprayer used for this very purpose. No more asking the wife to the garage to assist with brake bleeding. :prayer:
"Pump the brakes . . . ."
"I AM."
"No, that's the gas."
"Oh."
"Hold, HOLD! THE WRENCH SLIPPED."
"Hold what?"
"Just step down slowly in case air got up there."
"Step down on what?"
"The brake pedal."
"I thought you said the gas."
"I said don't step on the gas."
"No you didn't."
"I DID."
"You said, 'no, that's the gas'."
(curtain drops on rising volume of voices fading away)

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Mark wrote:Nice, I'll be modifying an unused stain/paint sprayer used for this very purpose. No more asking the wife to the garage to assist with brake bleeding. :prayer:
"Pump the brakes . . . ."
"I AM."
"No, that's the gas."
"Oh."
"Hold, HOLD! THE WRENCH SLIPPED."
"Hold what?"
"Just step down slowly in case air got up there."
"Step down on what?"
"The brake pedal."
"I thought you said the gas."
"I said don't step on the gas."
"No you didn't."
"I DID."
"You said, 'no, that's the gas'."
(curtain drops on rising volume of voices fading away)
That's exactly why I bought the Motive Power Bleeder. Just the mention of bleeding brakes brings a scowl to my Wife's face. I was scared when I had to aske her to do it twice in 3 days. :pale:

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 am

What the... do you have access to a webcam in my shop that I'm not aware of? That's nearly a spot-on example of brake bleeding with Mrs. Z :D
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:18 pm

...just to revisit this thread, the modified garden sprayer is the cat's meow. I didn't even need to modify/damage the sprayer, and used a $ 0.99 brake fluid reservoir cap with a hole drilled through. Since I only used the sprayer to supply pressurized air, it hasn't contaminated the tank with anything.
It's a little spooky watching the header tank swell out a bit under pressure, thoughts of being doused in DOT 3 fluid flashed in my mind. :cyclopsani:
The brake pedal is nice & firm with all new brakes front to back.
In reality you could just as easily run a line from a compressor set low enough, but the hack-factor to this was too much fun to pass up.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy