1973 SB brake line rusted at pedal...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

1973 SB brake line rusted at pedal...

Post by Maz804 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:41 pm

What a PITA it is to remove the rear brake line at that T fitting... :scratch:
Me thinks I should remove the other lines at the T first and then pull it out the back. I've already removed the front line off the master cylinder and pulled it out where it rusted by the pedal. All the little clips to hold the line along the middle channel are undone and the line is loose, ready to be pulled... But accessing that back fitting is a PITA... 11mm at the compression nut, but IT WON'T TURN! AHhhh!
*takes a swig from beer*
I'll get 'er done.
:blackeye:
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Been there. Done that. PITA is the correct term for the trouble you have disconnecting that junction.

However, MAJOR PITA is the term I would use for the effort needed to re-connect the fitting. I think it took me 60-90 minutes as I lay there on my back reaching up there and, by braille, repeatedly trying to get it threaded back in. The most unpleasant and frustrating job I have done on any VW.

I hope you have better luck than I did. If you cannot get that fitting to budge, perhaps you can cut the brake line and put in a splice somewhere under the rear seat.

Good Luck, Tim

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Finally got it. But in the process I ended up fudging up the soft line nut and stripping out another hardline... oh well. I'm going to put in a 2 piece system to make it easier. I'll connect the 2 parts under the rear seat somewhere. You had a VERY good idea by just splicing the line back there!
:blackeye:
I'm done for the day... A cold beer is awaiting my consumption.
:drunken:
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold