NAPA and German Brake Booster Vacuum Hose

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:09 pm

I know over time the material will change, but as far as structural integrity is concerned that hose looks perty sturdy.

Anyone up for testing a length of the FLAPS heater hose with a vacuum pump? I say 3 feet plugged and then start increasing vacuum pressure until the hose collapses.

I don't have a vac guage as yet but am interested in this experiment.

Hmmmm?
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Gypsie wrote:I know over time the material will change, but as far as structural integrity is concerned that hose looks perty sturdy.

Anyone up for testing a length of the FLAPS heater hose with a vacuum pump? I say 3 feet plugged and then start increasing vacuum pressure until the hose collapses.

I don't have a vac guage as yet but am interested in this experiment.

Hmmmm?

I'm interested in this experiment too especially since the NAPA hose is now on my bus as of two days ago. The NAPA hose was exactly $1.59 per foot.

My brake booster vacuum leak is now fixed. :cheers: The #1 cylinder is now participating and the engine shows a noticable drop in idle when the #1 plug wire is pulled from the dizzy and picks back up to a nice strong idle when re-connected. Prior to fixing this vacuum leak, it used to make absolutely ZERO impact on idle when #1 was pulled. Colin said that my engine might have a bit of a recovery in store for me and the plan is that I will recheck my compression after a hundred miles or so. Fingers crossed.
-'72 Westy-

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:42 pm

I bought some NAPA hose a few years back, but it wasn't standard heater hose, it was red in color and used for oil and a little beefier too. It's held up well so far, made by gates too.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Oregon72 wrote: Colin said that my engine might have a bit of a recovery in store for me and the plan is that I will recheck my compression after a hundred miles or so. Fingers crossed.
I would like oh say 6 feet, Mike.

Spontaneous recoveries require a quick prayer each time you start engine, a quiet one in the company of doubters, and a quick thanks when you shut it off, furtive pats on the scoops when in the company of doubters.
When you are trying to get home with spun bearings and collapsed pistons, your prayers must be florid loquacious public displays of supplication and grovelling. Wailing and keening is required no matter who is present.
CardinalColin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jblair630
Getting Hooked!

Post by jblair630 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Ooooh, Oooh, Oooh!!

I'm in. Just took measurements and brake booster to metal pipe is 1.5 feet. Metal pipe to firewall is 2.5 feet and firewall to connection on intake manifold is 2.5 feet. Put me down for 3 meters just to be on the safe side.

Thanks Mike.

Jeffrey
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Grateful Phred - 1971 Bus
Fweem - 1974 Super Beetle

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:38 pm

To the folks in the Hose Consortium................

Just thought I'd fill you in on something I found interesting. While I was repackaging the hose for individual delivery I had to remove some stickers on the longer lengths of hose.

The stickers said:

Made in Germany
Brake Booster Hose
I have cancer.

It does not have me.