78 Westy Bus Swerving Left Under Braking

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:40 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Nope. Still living with it. It's manageable but still bugs me. I still suspect the rear brake shoes. Their wear pattern would indicate they are not fully contacting the drum on either side.
Tap brakes quickly and firmly at slow walking speed with hands off the steering wheel. If the wheel kicks, it is in the front. If the car lumbers left, it is the rear.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:37 pm

It must be the front. Definite wheel movement to the left on firm, quick braking.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Were you ever able to determine if the caliper is working properly? I have an extra rebuilt one if you're interested...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:15 am

Amskeptic wrote:
vwlover77 wrote:Nope. Still living with it. It's manageable but still bugs me. I still suspect the rear brake shoes. Their wear pattern would indicate they are not fully contacting the drum on either side.
Tap brakes quickly and firmly at slow walking speed with hands off the steering wheel. If the wheel kicks, it is in the front. If the car lumbers left, it is the rear.
Colin
Haven't had a lot of time to look into this more but my issue seems to be a stronger pull left when I am traveling at highway speed and more gradual at walking speed.
Does the amount of brake dust build up on the wheels shed light on a possible problem. For example my driver's side front wheel has a lot more dust build up then the passenger side wheel.
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:53 am

Your drivers side is dustier because its working harder than the passenger, causing the pull. Are you sure the passenger side brake hose is not restricted.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:05 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Your drivers side is dustier because its working harder than the passenger, causing the pull. Are you sure the passenger side brake hose is not restricted.
I replaced those hoses and it helped quite a bit. It's an easy fix. A little tougher, although not too tough, is to rebuild the caliper. Local flap had a kit.

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:10 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Your drivers side is dustier because its working harder than the passenger, causing the pull. Are you sure the passenger side brake hose is not restricted.
Ya that is what I thought.
Yes I'm sure it's not them. I replaced them last year when I had the same problem but worse. The flexible hose on the driver side was completely clogged up and even caused the brake to lock up while driving. The problem went away for a while but is comming back now.
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
SVDA and points

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:18 am

Did you bleed the whole system at that time?

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:31 am

chitwnvw wrote:Did you bleed the whole system at that time?
yes. there is no softness or signs of air in the system and i flushed the old stuff out with new fluid.
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
SVDA and points

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:58 am

iwantmybustorun wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:Did you bleed the whole system at that time?
yes. there is no softness or signs of air in the system and i flushed the old stuff out with new fluid.
I was thinking more along the lines of gunk or crud clogging your new hose. I'd take off that caliper and see if that piston(s) is/are seized.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:23 pm

I certainly be looking hard at the passenger side something is not allowing it to work like it should.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.