Tight spot on rear drums during adjustment

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Tight spot on rear drums during adjustment

Post by bretski » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:11 pm

This afternoon, I had intended to put on my rebuilt front calipers...didn't quite get that far, as the rears are giving me fits.

I've been trying to get the rears adjusted properly, but seem to either have a drum out of round, or shoe problem. I adjust the stars so the wheels lock, pump the brakes a few times to make sure they don't loosen, then back off the adjusters a couple of clicks. Just like I normally do. The slight shoe drag that I normally look for is there, but only in one spot in the rotation.

Are my drums just getting a little too far out of round? Uneven shoe wear? I pulled the drums off, and the wear pattern looks pretty normal (slightly more wear on the top of the shoes). There's still plenty of material left.

Opinions welcome. Thanks!
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Your issue sounds familiar... Check this out.

viewtopic.php?t=4709
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Hmmmm...thanks Don, I hadn't seen Russ' post. Seems like his problem is nearly identical to mine. I'll try sanding the drums and see if that makes a difference.

Russ, if you read this, did it help?
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:30 am

Don't set parking brake when parking with hot brakes. As a yute I lived with some pretty bad out of round drums and excessive run out on disc rotors. Poor mans ABS! :cheers: If you need them turned don't go to a chain of muffler/brake shops. They don't know how to take a light cut, they'll cut 'em right too (to?) the limit, and try to sell you new ones when you come back with the same problem in a couple weeks.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.