Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Re:

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 10, 2012 12:38 pm

satchmo wrote:
Bookwus wrote:Hiya All,

And adding to Sluggo's comments regarding brake switches (above) I'd like to add that EuroMax brake switches are questionable at best. I have now had two sets of three prong switches leak. Interestingly, they leak THROUGH the switch with the brake fluid exiting from the plastic prong holding disc.

I heard from a friend in Australia that his set of EuroMax switches actually worked "in reverse" of what I've described above. In his case they allowed air into the system. In either situation this is a case of shoddy parts having a direct impact on your safety!

The real problem here is that if you are in the market for brake light switches EuroMax is almost always what you are going to be offered. They are carried and sold by most parts houses. Worse yet, they are stamped with the VW-Audi logo. Beware!

I have just ordered ATE or FTE German switches. Quite hard to find and they cost four times as much as the EuroMax. I'll let you know how it goes with them.
Maybe Colin has a report on how these brake light switches are holding up. The ATE/FTE switches are available from AirHead Parts at 4X the price of the EuroMax ones.

Tim
So much quality effort went into Chloe's refresh, thanks Mike, but the replacement master cylinder is leaking like a sieve.
Switches look OK . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Amskeptic wrote:So much quality effort went into Chloe's refresh, thanks Mike, but the replacement master cylinder is leaking like a sieve.
Switches look OK . . .
The rebuilt ATE master cylinder I got from O'Reilly is doing great! The brand new one I got before that leaked quite a bit. Can't remember who made it but it was aftermarket.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

luftvagon
Old School!

Re: Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by luftvagon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm

PEX Brake Shoes

They are using very thin and cheap stamped steel for the automatic adjustment lock lever:

Image Image

PEX Rear Brake Cylinder -- Garbage. It's leaking, and it was the root cause of the shoe brake adjustment snap.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 pm

luftvagon wrote:PEX Brake Shoes
They are using very thin and cheap stamped steel for the automatic adjustment lock lever:

PEX Rear Brake Cylinder -- Garbage. It's leaking, and it was the root cause of the shoe brake adjustment snap.
Where did you get the PEX brake cylinder? What is its origin? What is the warranty from your vendor?
Colin

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 pm

The adjustment lever snapped, yet again, but this time at the top 90degree elbow. The welds held up.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:42 pm

luftvagon wrote:The adjustment lever snapped, yet again, but this time at the top 90degree elbow. The welds held up.
Where did you get the PEX brake shoes? What is their origin? What is the warranty from your vendor?
Colin

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Yet another report of bogus brake light switches: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547636.

MEYLE brand this time. Pretty much fits with the reputation of that brand. Two new switches blew out catastrophically while
the dude was bleeding the brakes. Kinda lucky in a way.

I say a MEYLE top executive should be publicly horsewhipped.

UPDATE: The fellow belatedly admitted to having an electrical "incident" at the same time, and the failure could
reasonably be attributed to that. I've seen a number of reports of such accidents causing leaks in the brake
switches, probably from melted plastic parts in the switch.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:36 pm

kreemoweet wrote:Yet another report of bogus brake light switches: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547636.

MEYLE brand this time. Pretty much fits with the reputation of that brand. Two new switches blew out catastrophically while
the dude was bleeding the brakes. Kinda lucky in a way.

I say a MEYLE top executive should be publicly horsewhipped.
I asked for clarification from the OP, but may never find that thread again. I asked for confirmation that it was a genuine Meyle, vs a Chinese knock-off, "Mayle", or something. He mentioned "only $5.00/per switch".
Well . . . if you are going to price-shop brake parts in today's world, you get what's coming to you.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:12 am

What happened to Meyle? And they have such a nice blue box.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:26 pm

BRAND NEW Mexican rear brake drums, 68-70 Bus. Threads so soft and porous that they stripped out under very little torque. 2 of 5 failed. Visually, the drum was beautiful.
It sucks when a rare part is junk. And the trouble is, I'll betcha SOME Mexican drums (by different manufacturers) are probably made well.
I have no idea how to test threads until you put them under torque, so be prepared for the worst I guess...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 pm

hambone wrote:BRAND NEW Mexican rear brake drums, 68-70 Bus. Threads so soft and porous that they stripped out under very little torque. 2 of 5 failed. Visually, the drum was beautiful.
It sucks when a rare part is junk. And the trouble is, I'll betcha SOME Mexican drums (by different manufacturers) are probably made well.
I have no idea how to test threads until you put them under torque, so be prepared for the worst I guess...
Fill us in on your communication with your vendor? Any info on their sourcing?
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re:

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:55 am

Bookwus wrote:....EuroMax brake switches are questionable at best. I have now had two sets of three prong switches leak. Interestingly, they leak THROUGH the switch with the brake fluid exiting from the plastic prong holding disc.

this serves as a reminder to read these threads BEFORE you purchase parts. a friend of mine dropped off two new brake light switches yesterday, as im trying to get my brake lights working and thought they may be the fail point -

once installed I had brake lights on ALL the time, and pressing the pedal did nothing (B light on dash still lit). today I pulled the bus back up on the ramps to remove the bad one and put the OG one back in, and realized it's dumping fluid right out of the electrical connection point.

EUROMAX is total garbage, and dangerous - at best.
1979 California Transporter

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 am

There's Mike again. Always with some bit of good advice.

Hiya Mike. Glad you could stop by.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 am

Indeed. Mike has been in my life a whole buncha lately and still.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:09 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Bookwus wrote:....EuroMax brake switches are questionable at best. I have now had two sets of three prong switches leak. Interestingly, they leak THROUGH the switch with the brake fluid exiting from the plastic prong holding disc.

this serves as a reminder to read these threads BEFORE you purchase parts. a friend of mine dropped off two new brake light switches yesterday, as im trying to get my brake lights working and thought they may be the fail point -

once installed I had brake lights on ALL the time, and pressing the pedal did nothing (B light on dash still lit). today I pulled the bus back up on the ramps to remove the bad one and put the OG one back in, and realized it's dumping fluid right out of the electrical connection point.

EUROMAX is total garbage, and dangerous - at best.
Yes, tried out them in the Ghia and ended up buying the $20 each German ones
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/