engine standless heat exchanger installation

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

engine standless heat exchanger installation

Post by whc03grady » Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 pm

1. Is there a trick or method for bolting the heat exchangers to the heads while the engine is rightside up (that is, installing them from the bottom)?
If no, then
2. Is there an engine stand available that does not require the purchase of a special yoke to be used for our engines?
If no, then
3. Is there an engine stand available to which said special yoke can be fitted without drilling and/or welding?
If no, then go to 1.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: engine stand necessity

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue May 31, 2011 4:30 am

I use this engine stand myself...

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpr ... 09&cartid=

It is pretty rugged. Mine is bolted to a pretty rugged wooden box (21" wide x 34" deep x 36" tall made out of 2x3s and 3/4" MDF) and I have a big bench vise also bolted to the top of it to serve as a counterbalance. I also have removable 2 "outriggers" made of 56" long 2x3s that bolt to the bottom doubled up 2x3s 32" long "feet" to keep the complete engine (with the exhaust all on there) from falling forward. I already had the box. I just sort of beefed it up and added the bottom feet.

I am going to change it though. I am going to weld one up that includes some feet rollers for moving and knocks downs for storage. I still want the outriggers for stability. I also want an attachment for it on wheels that includes an "engine crane" (made out of a boat winch) that allows me to lift and lower the complete engine to/from the stand by myself.

I will try to post a picutre of it.
79 VW Bus

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue May 31, 2011 4:32 am

Here is a good rap on installing the exhausts....

http://www.suburbanengine.com/articles/hbmanifold.htm
79 VW Bus

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:06 pm

follow above tips except use 2 of the copper gaskets per port. heat the gaskets to red hot with propane torch, let them cool slowly. This makes them real soft and squishy.
use wheel bearing grease to hold first one to the head, muffler putty to hold second one to the first. makes it an easy remove/replace if you have to go back in. have to anneal the gaskets again to reuse.
I use anti seize on both ends of the stud. if the nut won't come off hopefully the stud will come out. it always has for me.

On the same topic. has anyone ever had the head flange break off at the weld? I suspect the weight of the cheap empi muffler hanging off the right hand side of the cheap empi exhaust is what broke the flange on number 2 exhaust port. That, and the cut alternator bracket that is supposed to be bolted to the 1-2 exchanger. It can be repaired. clean up the pipe and the inside of the pipe socket in the flange. use the broken weld as a match mark for alignment. goo up the inside of the pipe socket with muffler putty, slide the flange back into position and re-weld it. I open the bolt holes up even more than suggested above, on that particular flange.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 am

oops didn't answer the question! never really needed one. weld a gland nut to a stout piece of steel that can be clamped in a vice for crank and rod assembly on a type 1. just use a flywheel for a type 4. assemble the rest on a work bench.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.