Quick / Cheap Parts Cleaner

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Quick / Cheap Parts Cleaner

Post by DurocShark » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:21 am

You need:

1 Coffee Can
Hot Water
Purple Power (or your favorite degreaser)

Fill can 1/4 full of hot water. Just under boiling is best. Fill to halfway with Purple Power. Drop in parts. Stir gently. If you have a hotplate or something to keep it warm, all the better.

This is more gentle than using Lye, yet works better than Lye on grease. I just did the valve train off my 79 engine this way and it worked awesome. It won't remove paint, or anything like Lye does, but it's great on caked on grease.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Hrm..am I missing something here? Purple Power's website says:

Purple Power Original is a twenty minute soaking cleaner that may be reused numerous times without loss of effectiveness, however it should not be used on metals. Available in three convenient sizes :

Am I looking at the wrong cleaner? (The info above is from www.purplepower.com)

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:49 pm

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Post by pb24ss » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:48 pm

I've found simple green to be a wonderful cleaner and degreaser. It's amazing stuff.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:34 am

Isopropyl alcohol takes off much crud with no damage to paint. I cleaned the latch area of my sliding door top to bottom, looks nice and shiny and original paint! Even melts old tar.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:00 pm

GumOut carb spray is a vicious interior vinyl cleaner when anything less will not do. You only get one or two chances with the stuff, but it will take off pen marks, tar, 30 years of caked-on grime.
It will bring your headliner back to brand new so fast it's scary. Don't even try it. Once you have that little 1"x 1" square of brand-new white, the rest of the headliner appears enormous and filthy. If you try to go over the same spot twice, you will be sorry. The crushed grain disappears, then the backing starts to appear. If your paper towel loads up with grime, it will redeposit it on the actively melting vinyl, that's why you have to just pass through once and keep your paper towel clean. I wasted a roll of paper towels and billions of brain cells, but the Squareback headliner looks pretty white. Do not use it on faux dots headliners. On the real perforated headliners, it is excellent. You must use a clean paper towel on colored vinyl, use the GumOut only for severe stains like magic markers. Don't try for perfect because you will get it, and the rest of the interior suddenly looks grungy. Just swipe half-heartedly and once the stain is gone, de-activate the GumOut with another paper towel drenched in vinyl dressing.
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Do not use it on faux dots headliners.
Colin
I've gotta think you are the only bus owner that that pertains to.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:13 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
Colin

-John
The idiots who built these cars have quite the mix of fake dots and real perforations as they tried to keep the heat in and moisture out. I am not kidding. Even this little Squareback decided to use fake dots over the visors, and yes, Sharpie Marker, here we come. . . because I was not paying any attention by the time I reached the front of the car stoned on petroleum distillates.
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:
Colin

-John
The idiots who built these cars have quite the mix of fake dots and real perforations as they tried to keep the heat in and moisture out. I am not kidding. Even this little Squareback decided to use fake dots over the visors, and yes, Sharpie Marker, here we come. . . because I was not paying any attention by the time I reached the front of the car stoned on petroleum distillates.
Colin
Have at it Michelangelo! And to think he only had to do it once!
-John
Keep it acoustic.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:45 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Have at it Michelangelo! And to think he only had to do it once!
-John
Yeah, but he had lots of assistants & helpers :geek:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

RedNail
I'm New!

Post by RedNail » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:31 pm

ive often used dawn dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush and a lot of elbow grease when cleaning various greasy/oily/dirty car parts.
73 Westfalia dual solex setup w/aftermarket AC

was told engine is 2000cc but i think is a 1700cc engine code (CB091187).

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed May 23, 2007 4:44 am

On white vinyl, try a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser." Dampen it as per instructions, and rub the grime and pressed-in greasy hand prints off without melting the vinyl.
Oh! Sparkly! =D>

Rob

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed May 23, 2007 5:27 am

Hippie wrote:On white vinyl, try a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser." Dampen it as per instructions, and rub the grime and pressed-in greasy hand prints off without melting the vinyl.
Oh! Sparkly! =D>

Rob
I suggested that once over on the Samba and got beat up because it removes a bit of material.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed May 23, 2007 7:56 am

Really? I can't see that it does, but maybe it does. I use it on flat wall paint all the time.

Rob

ainokea
I'm New!

Re: Quick / Cheap Parts Cleaner

Post by ainokea » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Super Clean, strong enough to remove some rust stains and an excellent parts cleaner, grease and grime remover, but gloves should be worn. Ainokea