B comprehensive but limited
20%
B comprehensive but limited
20%

Total votes: 50

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Green Noob here. I've been lurking around TS, IAC, and LMB for about 3 months since I purchased my first bus Aug. 31. I have since purchased 5 more for a total of 6. These are my first air-cooled engines and having mechanical skills, but not being a mechanic, I have enjoyed reading Colin's posts more than any other posts related to buses. Randy in Maine is second. Other sites have the basic information able to be found with a little effort as well as detailed info, but when someone is really stuck, Colin breaks things down to a new level that makes understanding sound simple. Or at least something that is do-able. It is this sense of instilled confidence he instills and the self confidence he demonstrates in the preciseness of his responses. This is truly your passion and it shows.

Colin, if you are ever near KC, I'd love to buy you some lunch and pick your brain for a few.

I'm also curious about your travels and what all that involves. Great Job and thanks for all the help already. I plan on trying to start a dormant 78 Westy this weekend and will probably be looking for any advice you all might have.

Thanks for the great site.
Searching for reason in an unreasonable location.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Jr. Buser. Good luck with the weekend project, and keep us in the loop. Sounds like the air-cooled bug hit you hard.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:35 am

Thanks.
My wife might say it knocked me out!!

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:21 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Welcome to the forum Jr. Buser. Good luck with the weekend project, and keep us in the loop. Sounds like the air-cooled bug hit you hard.

-John
Seconded.

BTW, John. Great Avatar!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:43 pm

Sluggo wrote:BTW, John. Great Avatar!
Thank you Randy.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Jr. Buser wrote:Colin, if you are ever near KC, I'd love to buy you some lunch and pick your brain for a few.
Keep an eye on the 2008 Itinerary Forum which is not up just yet, for dates surrounding that particular area of the country. If I am on some crazy little escape, it'll be in the General Forum, and you can flag me down in there. Lunch? Bag o' chips and Diet Coke and open engine hatch.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:03 pm

I am keeping my eyes open. As for the bag of chips and DC, if that's all you want, but I live 1 mile from the best BB-Q joint in the world! Even in this rural area his sauce was voted the best by the American Royal BBQ contest for several years. I'd like to think that I am as adept with food as you are with VW's. I'm working on starting the 78 tomorrow and have much to read about with the other current 78 thread and one that Randy in Maine helped someone else with. Wish me luck as I found out today that I probably should not rebuild a starter myself. I'm glad I tried, though. Sorry I hijacked this thread. Perhaps it could be moved or something?

Thanks

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:42 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:A, Plus there are are others here who can help interpret your shorthand...
Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:I'm with the majority. A first with b on request.
If I commit to hitting all the forums lightly, if an A answer needs another more explicit follow through, I might not be able to swing back in a timely fashion. You'll have to hound me.
Colin awoooooooooooooo

I'm with Rsorack for this one and can answer how Colin can get back for the original poster when needed.
There are quite a few people here that can decipher a short hand version and flesh it out for the rest. Those of us further along on the learning curve can explain how they did it. When even the people with some experience, you know who you are, are stumped , send a short hand PM to Colin. Short hand, so as not to waste his time, with a flurry of PM's, every time he logs on. Just say."hey Colin check this thread", he can give the clear concise answer /shop tip. This way Colin is teaching teachers to teach. Colin will have more time to hang out in the general chat and free speech forums or staying involved with a particularly, peculiar, troubleshooting guide back to toodeling down the road in our newly repaired VW's Gotta go, Jeopardy is on.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.