Fan took in paper towel

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Fan took in paper towel

Post by whc03grady » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm

(Unsure if this is the proper forum)
It would appear that I drove Ludwig about a half hour with a paper towel having been ingested by the fan at the very beginning of that half hour. I didn't notice anything amiss running-wise, but then he doesn't have a CHT gauge. I only noticed when we got home and I popped open the hood.

Obviously I should remove the tin and pick out all the pieces, and look through the oil cooler, but is there anywhere else more private where shreds could've gone?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Fan took in paper towel

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:54 am

whc03grady wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm
(Unsure if this is the proper forum)
It would appear that I drove Ludwig about a half hour with a paper towel having been ingested by the fan at the very beginning of that half hour. I didn't notice anything amiss running-wise, but then he doesn't have a CHT gauge. I only noticed when we got home and I popped open the hood.

Obviously I should remove the tin and pick out all the pieces, and look through the oil cooler, but is there anywhere else more private where shreds could've gone?

Did the paper towel shred? Did it make it past the fan blades? Do you have a guard (recommended)?
Remove fan.
Send high velocity compressed air up through the cooler and deflectors with flaps fully open. That should open the airways.
After the compressed air blows the paper towels off the fins, the fragments should congregate in the fan housing. You can pick fragments out from there.
Yeesh, Mitch, I almost prefer my plastic bag disaster against the fan guard.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles