coil wiring

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

frenchy70
I'm New!

coil wiring

Post by frenchy70 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:34 am

Hi T25 81 1600 A/C Transporter . OK after 12yrs good service she broke down , just simply cut out with a bit of backfiring , could`nt do much no spark so called breakdown ,man turns up with his multimetre and promptly pulls the coil wires off before I could stop him , stick it on the trailer take us home ! . Since I`ve been trying to sort out the coil wiring from the electronic ignition , I have black n green from the Ignition Module , a red from the ballast resister , a black from that big box just to the left inside which gives around 16v with ignition on , the loom Dizzy to Module still attached . can any one please give me either a photo of the back of the coil or an electronic wiring diagram . Thanks in advance..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: coil wiring

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 pm

frenchy70 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:34 am
Hi T25 81 1600 A/C Transporter . OK after 12yrs good service she broke down , just simply cut out with a bit of backfiring , could`nt do much no spark so called breakdown ,man turns up with his multimetre and promptly pulls the coil wires off before I could stop him , stick it on the trailer take us home ! . Since I`ve been trying to sort out the coil wiring from the electronic ignition , I have black n green from the Ignition Module , a red from the ballast resister , a black from that big box just to the left inside which gives around 16v with ignition on , the loom Dizzy to Module still attached . can any one please give me either a photo of the back of the coil or an electronic wiring diagram . Thanks in advance..

As I remember, the Hall Effect distributors had plastic molex connectors at the coil to keep the wires straight. The "16" 12 volt supply from the black box goes to coil #15 (+) . If I can get to my Vanagon Bentley, I might be able to list out the wires for you. It is a US 2 litre, though.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi frenchy70, and welcome! Do you have a fuel-injected 1600cc engine? Non-USA vans were offered with more engine/induction offerings, and sometimes had carburetors from the factory which added a few wires to the coil...

Just opened my Vanagon Bentley for the first time in more than two years. Ignition System 28.15:
“Do NOT tow cars without disconnecting plugs on ignition control unit.”

I never would have even considered doing that... Do we give kudos to the tow truck driver even if he stuck it on a flat bed??? Anyway, I’ve posted the section of the 2.0L Type 4 Vanagon Bentley below. If the car is original in its coil arrangement, assuming the 1600 model wiring is the same as the 2.0L models:

Terminal 1 (occasionally labeled (-) or “negative”) usally has two spade terminals when the plastic connector is removed. Aftermarket coils typically have three terminals and I don’t know if the stock plug would fit on.

1) black wire to ignition control module
2) white wire to fuel injection ECU (if equipped with F.I.)

Terminal 15 (occasionally labeled (+) or “positive”) gets three black wires.

1) power from key switch (square 57 in diagram below)
2a) power to fuel pump relay (if fuel injected)
2b) power to carburetor chokes and solenoids (if carbureted, not shown in diagram)
3) power to ignition control module

You will not have the *oxs relay.

The ballast resistor sounds like an aftermarket addition, I’m not sure what is going on there.

Best of luck, and ask if you have more questions!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:55 am

asiab3 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 pm
Hi frenchy70,
Just opened my Vanagon Bentley for the first time in more than two years. Ignition System 28.15:
“Do NOT tow cars without disconnecting plugs on ignition control unit.”
I never would have even considered doing that...

Best of luck, and ask if you have more questions!
Robbie
Robbie!
Thank-you!
No, I would not have considered disconnecting wires on ignition control unit!
Kudos to the tow truck driver!
Colin (!)
(frenchy70, rsvp!)

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:38 pm

(Why disconnect the wires? I’m assuming a flat tow would require unlocking the steering lock with the key and could potentially fry the module like burning up points with the key on too long?)
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:38 pm
(Why disconnect the wires? I’m assuming a flat tow would require unlocking the steering lock with the key and could potentially fry the module like burning up points with the key on too long?)
Don't know. You can unlock the steering wheel without energizing the ignition.
Who do we ask?
Colin