Broken sparkplug on 1800 cc AW engine 1974 Bay Window

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Broken sparkplug on 1800 cc AW engine 1974 Bay Window

Post by twinfalls » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:31 pm

First of all, I want to say hello, who remember me many years ago on the forum.
I have been away for a looong time.
I have not used my 1974 Wesy for a looong time.
Because of a badly stuck sparkplug, I could not remove it, now, it is broken in the head.
Broken with the thread inside the head and inside the broken thread the copper electrode and insulation around it.

So, I am badly in trouble. I see no way to extract it because I cannot insert an extrator, neither pull the obstructive debris.
To make things worse, I had a severe over heating last time I ran it, that might have ruined the engine.

Is there some trick to not go at engine removal and up to head removal to go at extracting the broken plug.

My engine is a US 1974 AW 1800cc Solex dual carb. I am in France and there seem to be no AW 1800cc engine available in Europe, they do have AP 1800cc engines.
What is the difference between AW and AP ? Are they compatible ?
I suspect AP is the Europe market 1800cc while the AW is the US market 1800cc
I suspect AP has no EGR, no afterburner while AW has both.

On my US AW, I removed the EGR and after burner, so I hope the AP whill be compatible.
Will the AP be compatible about: Carbs, tranny, clutch, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, fan housing, exhaust, fuel pump, alternator, starter......everything i forget that hooks on it
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Broken sparkplug on 1800 cc AW engine 1974 Bay Window

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 am

twinfalls wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:31 pm
I had a severe over heating last time I ran it, that might have ruined the engine.

Tear it down. You need to verify if pistons scuffed, if head nuts de-clamped, and you have a broken spark plug stuck in the head.
Ouch.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Re: Broken sparkplug on 1800 cc AW engine 1974 Bay Window

Post by sgkent » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:52 pm

there is no easy fix. To save the head it is best to have a machine shop drill it out on a drill press with a floating table so that they can dead center the drill.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench