Dansk heater boxes

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Dansk heater boxes

Post by Curtp07 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 am

One side of my rebuilt engine cannot seem to keep the exhaust leak at the head under control. All the proper steps have been taken with my new dansk boxes.

Gaskets annealed, torqued, etc.

From the crush marks on the gaskets it apppears to be an alignment issue that's causing a small but annoying leak.

Is it ok to widen the holes on the header to allow slight movement in setting the seal?

Thanks,
Curt

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Dansk heater boxes

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 am
One side of my rebuilt engine cannot seem to keep the exhaust leak at the head under control. All the proper steps have been taken with my new dansk boxes.

Gaskets annealed, torqued, etc.

From the crush marks on the gaskets it apppears to be an alignment issue that's causing a small but annoying leak.

Is it ok to widen the holes on the header to allow slight movement in setting the seal?

Thanks,
Curt
Yes.

You can also bastard file the tops of the flanges to keep them parallel. I have had some tough lousy exchangers from Dansk where I had to bend an entire pipe to get them to slide up the studs. Dansk. Pffffffffft.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 am
Dansk. Pffffffffft.
Let me help further clarify--- Dansk = crap.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Yes had them filed at a machine shop...darn dansk.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 12, 2017 6:49 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:21 pm
Yes had them filed at a machine shop...darn dansk.

Time to figure out which way to carefully bend the flanges with a pipe wrench, then bastard file mill the tops again.
Yep. It is about fun, and you will suffer until you are having fun.
Colin

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:55 am

Another good tip for the heater boxes...

Drill the flanges 1-2 sizes bigger then they will slide on easier. Loctite 518 or Permatex equiv. on the copper rings will aid in sealing them. The critical part squaring off the pipes to one another with an 18 in bastard cut file and a metal straight edge to check for accuracy. 1-2 hours for each pipe.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 am

Over the years, I've heard nothing good about the fit of any Dansk product. They're certainly not cheap, either. When I needed to replace the components on the exhaust of my '78 bus, I scoured the Samba classified, and collected all of the various parts used, but in the best condition I could find. No fit problems that way...and it was cheaper, too. The Dansk heater boxes are also lacking in the interior cooling fin department, too, I believe.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:21 am

Jivermo wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 am
Over the years, I've heard nothing good about the fit of any Dansk product. They're certainly not cheap, either. When I needed to replace the components on the exhaust of my '78 bus, I scoured the Samba classified, and collected all of the various parts used, but in the best condition I could find. No fit problems that way...and it was cheaper, too. The Dansk heater boxes are also lacking in the interior cooling fin department, too, I believe.

Lacking in weld strength, flange alignment, pipe orientation, yes, what's to love with Dansk?

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Amskeptic wrote: . . . what's to love with Dansk?
This unloveableness has been going on such a long time, one begins to believe it's congenital:

https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtop ... 0c7e6c280a

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:14 am

kreemoweet wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:38 pm
Amskeptic wrote: . . . what's to love with Dansk?
This unloveableness has been going on such a long time, one begins to believe it's congenital:

https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtop ... 0c7e6c280a

Kudos to Nigel Skeet!
Dansk/Jopex has been the bane of my existence, and I would love to heckle them with a recounting of how many people I have met who have been poisoned by exhaust leaks . . . including me.

The current Jopex exhaust pipes for Type 1 buses bend immediately after the exit from the muffler. Due to piss-poor technique, the pipes are ovalized through the gasket and leak no matter how carefully installed.

I will contact Nigel. I can double his anecdotal report volume.
Colin

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:59 am

who have been poisoned by exhaust leaks . . . including me.

file a complaint at NHTSA
What happens if a product has a defect or is noncompliant?
If a manufacturer determines that a product does not comply with the FMVSS or there is a safety-related defect, the manufacturer must notify NHTSA within 5 days of making such a determination. NHTSA will work with the manufacturer on an appropriate remedy, including notifying distributors, retailers and customers of the problem and remedy for said problem. Safety defects apply to any type of product, not just products covered by the FMVSS. NHTSA also has the authority to conduct its own independent investigations and order a product be removed from the marketplace.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:26 pm

sgkent wrote: file a complaint at NHTSA
My god, wouldn't that be great if doing so would have any chance of improving the miserable parts we have to deal with!
I actually filed such a complaint many years ago, re brake light switches that fail in weeks/months or actually blow the f. out
and spray brake fluid everywhere, with necessary pressure going away forthwith. Such things can obviously kill you and your loved ones without warning. Unfortunately, I had no specific
product to cite (I had long since converted to my 100% reliable mechanical brake lite switch) and could only point to some forum posts. No answer
at all from those guys. Another good candidate is bogus "rebuild kits" for Type I engine mechanical fuel pumps, which in the hands of naive
mechanics can easily burn the vehicle to the ground.
Another big problem is that we do not typically deal with "manufacturers", but rather retailers. There seem to be serious efforts made by many in
the supply chain to hide, obfuscate, and misrepresent just who the actual "manufacturer" is.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Ok guys..I did as Colin suggested and widened the holes to improve fitting. Still exhaust leak from front header as identified by smoke. Short of putting a jack under the header to snug it up, can I use two copper washers on this ill fitting front header? Professionally filed, annealed gaskets, followed the recipe EXACTLY..this is the only leak!

Thanks!

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:29 am

That is some read there, Nigel is a pit bull. Interesting the one guy's comment: "at least parts are available" or something to that effect. Exactly why the bums keep cranking the garbage out and selling it. I'll never buy any Dansk, especially after that informative read. Colin, did you attempt to contact Nigel? Sounds like a man after your own.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:16 am

how about a photo and point to where the smoke is coming from.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench