Vanagon dash light

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

Vanagon dash light

Post by dingo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 pm

84 Vanagon: dash light remains on with engine running. I swapped alt/reg for fresh 'reman/rebuild' under warranty. No change. Dash light stays on thru all revs.
Removed reg. and verified brushes were good and new..sanded and cleaned slip rings to shiny copper. No change.
Dash light on with Ign On. Removing blue wire at alt, light goes out. Ground blue wire to block, light goes back On. ...so that checks out.
dash light is not the intermittant flickering which is typical of bad diode, it is solid 'on'
could this be a ground strap/cable issue ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Vanagon dash light

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:06 pm

dingo wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 pm
84 Vanagon: dash light remains on with engine running. I swapped alt/reg for fresh 'reman/rebuild' under warranty. No change. Dash light stays on thru all revs.
Removed reg. and verified brushes were good and new..sanded and cleaned slip rings to shiny copper. No change.
Dash light on with Ign On. Removing blue wire at alt, light goes out. Ground blue wire to block, light goes back On. ...so that checks out.
dash light is not the intermittant flickering which is typical of bad diode, it is solid 'on'
could this be a ground strap/cable issue ?
If the blue wire behaves correctly when you do the above, the alternator is grounded out, replace it again!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I swapped alt/reg for fresh 'reman/rebuild' under warranty.
As Colin states, and I would be leery of anything but a brand new high quality regulator as well. I've never heard of a refurbished regulator - although in the old days one could file the points in one and reset the voltage. The electronic ones work or don't work. There is nothing to refurbish.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am

yeah good point.....that big xistor on the reg is probably fried.

refurb/rebuil/reman...what a half-ass racket
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."