71 Super Beetle Front Suspension Noise - Fixed!

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

71 Super Beetle Front Suspension Noise - Fixed!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Bad ball joint? I can't both push it up and down and be underneath to pinpoint the source....

https://youtu.be/g53BXr5EXVA

https://youtu.be/nds3iXp6Rjo

I've been driving it and noticing a troubling noise from the front end over bumps. That's what led me to pushing to bumper up and down.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: 71 Super Beetle Front Suspension Noise

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:08 pm

No, I don't think so. I've been driving it and noticing a troubling noise from the front end over bumps. That's what led me to pushing to bumper up and down. Probably should have mentioned this in my earlier post!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Man, we are all just guessing without being there... it sort of looked like your inner tie rod, driver's side (I think), was moving in sync with the click in the first video. Otherwise, idler arm bushing, pitman arm, steering dampener, four tie rod ends, two ball joints, a sway bar, and the camber adjusters...did I miss any possible clickers? Oh, and the shock absorbers... reach up in there and yank on stuff til something clicks...

I finally replaced everything to get rid of shimmy and weird noises. Now, I just have an unsettling swerve plus dip when I brake hard...

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Also check the bolts holding the bumper on...

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Actually, I did find loose bumper bolts and tightened them but to no avail. All wear items were replaced when I went through the front end in the mid-90's but that was only a few thousand miles ago!
Don

78 Westy

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:35 am

Jack that corner up and push/pull on the wheel, that might help you isolate the noise too depending on which 'direction' of push/pull causes the sound.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I think it is in the shock absorber, as far as the fidelity of my laptop will allow. There is often a plastic "boot" between the rod and the cartridge, and when it lets go, it cocks and bangs the cartridge. You need to get to the strut while someone else does the movement.
Put your hand on components and narrow down the source.
Another interesting symptom from vwlover77 . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 pm

It turned out to be an easy fix. The cap that holds the strut insert in the strut housing had loosened! This allowed the insert to move up and down inside the housing, causing the noise. I tightened it up, and the noise is gone!

Don

78 Westy

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: 71 Super Beetle Front Suspension Noise - Fixed!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:52 pm

Fantastic sleuthing, and congrats on getting the free easy fix!

Aren't these cars fun?
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:11 pm

vwlover77 wrote:It turned out to be an easy fix. The cap that holds the strut insert in the strut housing had loosened! This allowed the insert to move up and down inside the housing, causing the noise. I tightened it up, and the noise is gone!
[/img]
I cannot imagine how that cap could have loosened to the extent of the noise in your video. Does it even have enough available threads to allow the cartridge to move so substantially?

How do we conclude that it does not loosen in the future? Did you note if oil was used in the tube prior to installation? About a cup is poured down the tube to help in heat transfer and heck help prevent the cartridge from getting rusted in there.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:42 am

I did not pay close attention, but I recall I was able to tighten the cap by 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn. I did not remove the cap so I cannot comment on the number of threads. There are still some threads showing below the cap - you can see them in the photo.

I'm guessing the insert was probably not moving more that a millimeter in the housing. When I replaced the strut inserts back in the early 90's, I had only the Bentley as a guide. It provides no information about how to replace the strut inserts, so I probably figured the oil inside the housing had leaked out of the original insert. I do not remember, but I'm almost sure I assembled everything dry. Maybe the amount of noise is not unreasonable considering no cushion of oil?

What is supposed to keep the cap in place, other than high tightening torque? Maybe I did not tighten it sufficiently when I replaced the insert?
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:46 am

vwlover77 wrote:I did not pay close attention, but I recall I was able to tighten the cap by 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn. I did not remove the cap so I cannot comment on the number of threads. There are still some threads showing below the cap - you can see them in the photo.

I'm guessing the insert was probably not moving more that a millimeter in the housing. When I replaced the strut inserts back in the early 90's, I had only the Bentley as a guide. It provides no information about how to replace the strut inserts, so I probably figured the oil inside the housing had leaked out of the original insert. I do not remember, but I'm almost sure I assembled everything dry. Maybe the amount of noise is not unreasonable considering no cushion of oil?

What is supposed to keep the cap in place, other than high tightening torque? Maybe I did not tighten it sufficiently when I replaced the insert?
The tightening torque is the only thing that holds it. I last used a big channellock pliers to snug the cartridge down on retro1302's Super Beetle. As I remember, it was a pretty good firm 80 ft/lbs or something, the nut at the top is about 45 ft/lbs, the three 13mm attachment nuts are in the low 20's . . . what the heck, read your Bentley and you let us know!
Colin