Sticky Throttle Fix - 78 FI

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Sticky Throttle Fix - 78 FI

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:56 am

The accelerator pedal on my '78 Westy had gotten quite stiff and sticky again. I had fully greased the cable not too long ago so I was surprised by this development. I was planning to pull out the cable and grease it again when the thought struck me that maybe the spring mechanism on the throttle shaft might be a contributor. I gave it a WD40 "bath" and was surprised by the amount of dirt and grit that rinsed off. Either that dirt was impeding the winding and unwinding of the spring on the throttle shaft or some of the WD40 got down into the shaft bushing, but the end result is a light and easy-to-press accelerator. We'll see how long it lasts, but I thought I'd pass it along.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

sgkent
Addicted!

Re: Sticky Throttle Fix - 78 FI

Post by sgkent » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:01 am

wd40 makes a good general purpose cleaner but not a long acting lubricant. Blasting that area with compressed air (protect your eyes) then a WD40 bath again, and maybe a little grease rubbed into the pivot points will help it. There are also some pivot points under the floor where the cable goes that need a little grease. As you go thru your bus and you do small jobs like this, you'll find that it goes a long way to a pleasant running bus.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:37 am

Very true, what sgkent said. "WD" stands for "water displacement", which is what it is really good for. It is a rather inferior lubricant, but they don't tell you that, as they are quite happy with selling tons of the stuff to folks who think it lubricates. Grease or a real spray "lubricant".

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:50 am

It does lubricate, perhaps not well or for very long as you stated. According to the product information on their web site: "WD-40®'s lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts." In this application, I prefer a light lubricant that will not attract and retain airborne dust and debris as grease or even light oil would.
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Has anyone tried the "Dry Lubricant" spray for places like this? I know Liquid Wrench makes a version; it's usually on the shelf next to the spray-on white lithium grease.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:57 am

asiab3 wrote:Has anyone tried the "Dry Lubricant" spray for places like this? I know Liquid Wrench makes a version; it's usually on the shelf next to the spray-on white lithium grease.

Robbie
I have sticky late bus throttle syndrome. I have optimized accelerator cable, pedal, etc, but first press of the morning is always sticky. I have seen some throttle plates actually bind against the wall of the throttle body. I don't think there is an actual stop for these things.
Will get back to you after I go in to polish things a bit.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:00 am

I have had success by adding an extra spring underneath the floor of the pedal...a well-directed/angled spring and trimmed to the right tension....this helps return the pedal to full and upright position with the right amount of snap.
Also in the past i have added a spring to the throttle plate mechanism...once again, the angle of the dangle and just the right amount of spring tension will relieve stickyness
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:41 am

I cannot believe how much more pleasurable the Bus is to drive with smooth, light accelerator action. And i never would have guessed it was so easy to fix!

Colin, spray down and lube the clockspring and mechanism on the top of the throttle shaft!
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:43 am

vwlover77 wrote:
Colin, spray down and lube the clockspring and mechanism on the top of the throttle shaft!
I did:
October 12, 2015
November 22, 2015
February 6, 2016
April 17, 2016
May 4, 2016
June 30, 2016
July 13, 2016
August 9, 2016
August 21, 2016
September 12, 2016
October 5, 2016

. . . still have that sticky feeling first press in the morning.
Colin :drunken:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles