AFM

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWnBlood
I'm New!

AFM

Post by VWnBlood » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:43 pm

I have a 76 vw bus, manufactured 10/75, the AFM was damaged by a smog shop, they stripped the air/fuel mixture screw . ..My AFM has
# 0 280 200 012 and # 022 906 301A 6 pin
I found a guy who has one ,with these exact #s, but his does not have an A at the end...I geuss it's off a porches 914, will it fit and function correctly in my Bus?? Having a hard time finding one with the exact #s...and don't want to buy the wrong part, that won't work, but I'm desperate ! TIA!

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: AFM

Post by asiab3 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Is it the screw or housing stripped? Perhaps you could try out the new housing, and if it isn't tunable, swap the "guts" over? I'm thinking out loud here, just to brainstorm.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:22 am

you can send the AFM in to the following company, they restore (R&R/ Test & Check) them for Bus Depot.

Fuel Injection Corp
2246 N. MacArthur Dr.
Tracy, CA 95376
Phone 925 371 6551
Order Fax 1 800 860 7830

Skip
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:02 am

The first number you gave is the Bosch number. The second is the VW number. Odds are very good that it will work. If you pry the plasric lid off and confirm that the resistor board has the same part number, then you should be golden.

You may need to adjust the spring tension in the new one to match your old one. Sgkent came up with an elegant method of setting spring tension using nothing more than a few simple weights. Check the Samba for one of many examples he posted.

The 6- pin AFMs could be getting hard to find, as they were replaced by the 7-pin ones after only a couple of years, so it would be a good idea to acquire a few 6-pins for spares. I think BellePlaine has a few in various states of disassembly. Perhaps he has a spare body with good idle air screw threads.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 am

I say throw it in. Fire it up, and tune accordingly.

Scottie

VWnBlood
I'm New!

Post by VWnBlood » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks everyonefor your informative awesome replies! Much appreciated, !!

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Post by AZ Landshaper » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Take it to someone who can remove the screw. Keep the old one in there and spend effort removing the screw. Don't get started w a whole new AFM. A machine shop or just any talented mechanic can drill and easy-out the screw.
Will cost u 35 bucks. Save your AFM and your benjamines.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:28 pm

AZ Landshaper wrote:Take it to someone who can remove the screw. Keep the old one in there and spend effort removing the screw. Don't get started w a whole new AFM. A machine shop or just any talented mechanic can drill and easy-out the screw.
Will cost u 35 bucks. Save your AFM and your benjamines.
Problem is, it is not the screw that is stripped. It is the housing, the soft pot metal housing. That stripped AFM is a nice supply of spare parts, like the board, the wiper, the plug, even the mixture screw if you find a way to pull it out.

Get thee a fresh six pin AFM while the getting is good, and plan on a kustom adjustment regardless of its applicability.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles