White 'smoke' (vapor) from exhaust '78 bus

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

honeybus
I'm New!

White 'smoke' (vapor) from exhaust '78 bus

Post by honeybus » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:27 am

When starting stone old, I get white-ish 'smoke' out of the exhaust, which I believe to be H2O vapor.

From what or where or why does this come?

See my youtube video. Thanks

https://youtu.be/_wy0pQPokbQ

https://youtu.be/_wy0pQPokbQ
Thank you for all the fish . . .

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: White 'smoke' (vapor) from exhaust '78 bus

Post by SlowLane » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:52 am

OMG, you have a coolant leak!!!! Your head gaskets must have blown!!!! Is your antifreeze level dropping?

Just kidding. It's most likely just condensation which accumulates in your exhaust system when it's cold.

In fact, a coolant leak on an air-cooled vehicle is normal. That's how it performs the cooling.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

honeybus
I'm New!

Post by honeybus » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:49 pm

SlowLane wrote:. It's most likely just condensation which accumulates in your exhaust system when it's cold.
So, it should stop smoking when the engine reaches operating temperature. I.e., the thermostat has fully expanded, opening up the pathway for air to cool the engine and oil cooler. Right?

SlowLane wrote:In fact, a coolant leak on an air-cooled vehicle is normal. That's how it performs the cooling.
Sorry, I don't quite get that. Is it another joke? Coolant = air?
Thank you for all the fish . . .

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:49 pm

honeybus wrote:So, it should stop smoking when the engine reaches operating temperature. I.e., the thermostat has fully expanded, opening up the pathway for air to cool the engine and oil cooler. Right?
Kinda-sorta., The visible water vapour should stop when your exhaust system has gotten hot enough to evaporate all of the condensation inside it.
honeybus wrote:Sorry, I don't quite get that. Is it another joke? Coolant = air?
Yes. :sunny:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett