1978 2.0L FI Hydraulic Lifter #2 Exhaust Problem

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1978 2.0L FI Hydraulic Lifter #2 Exhaust Problem

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 am

Wild Bill wrote:Yes I am having issues. JUst got Bus in Don's garage this afternoon and I had to take wife out to eat (It's our Anniversary ) so no work was done.
Thanks I'll run through those tests. I have been refreshing my memory on chasing rabbits in the fuel injection system. It's all becoming very clear now.
When I was attempting to field repair Rusty at the Bug Jam Sunday, it was really kinda of hard to "work" with about 5 different people that work in a VW Shop standing over your shoulder giving advice. Especially when your tired, getting bit by mosquitoes, it's getting dark and a light rain is falling and your 475 miles from home. Well you get the picture.
We have not had an engine class in a while on a Weds. night but we can have one at Don's garage if necessary. I hope to have this current problem in the books by then. :) You still on for Pizza and a beer or two?
I am good for whatever night works for you . . .
Keep me posted on engine diagnosis right here.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:36 am

Rusty is alive. Bad coil and series resistor pack. Coil had a mind of it's own. Worked one minute then would quit. Thanks Lauren Bailey seems that you had the same problem before. The injector series pack had a broken/frayed power supply wire thus keeping the injectors from firing properly. All is well now. Thanks for all help and good vibes.
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida
1978 High Top Camper, 2.0L, FI
1969 Squareback,2.0L, T-4

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:40 pm

By "c turn on engine" I'm getting that you mean try to start engine with one injector plug off and test. Or just have someone crank the engine and test then?

(little dense)
Joseph

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:58 pm

mentalQtip wrote:By "c turn on engine" ( prior page list of instructions -ed ) I'm getting that you mean try to start engine with one injector plug off and test. Or just have someone crank the engine and test then?

(little dense)
Joseph
Yes, either run the engine, if it will run, or crank it on the starter. If cranking on the starter, have your leads all ready to go so you can get the test over and done with.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles