Fuel Gauge vibrator

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

CikanVuz
I'm New!

Fuel Gauge vibrator

Post by CikanVuz » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 am

Anybody know the trick to getting the tiny crew/bolt back in so the Fuel Gauge vibrator stays in place? That screw/bolt in mine fell out and no, I can find it and my Honey I shrunk the kids machine is still broken.... (1974 Karmann Ghia)

CikanVuz
I'm New!

Re: Fuel Gauge vibrator

Post by CikanVuz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Nevermind

got the unit out of dash, found the screw laying in the rats nest, got it out with a magnet put it all back together and where the fuel gauge used to dance to the beat of a drum only it heard, now it is in complete hiding and not working at all. Screw it; it will get an after-market gauge next month!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:25 am

CikanVuz wrote:Nevermind

got the unit out of dash, found the screw laying in the rats nest, got it out with a magnet put it all back together and where the fuel gauge used to dance to the beat of a drum only it heard, now it is in complete hiding and not working at all. Screw it; it will get an after-market gauge next month!
Aftermarket fuel gauge? With its own sender unit? Why not stock replacement?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

CikanVuz
I'm New!

Post by CikanVuz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:14 am

Um, because I have unable to find a working one anywhere... VDO makes a gauge that works with stock sender and I have used it on other VWs with same issue and they work just fine or better than nothing I should say. With stock sender, if I ever do find a new stock fuel gauge, I can simply switch back.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 am

CikanVuz wrote:Um, because I have unable to find a working one anywhere... VDO makes a gauge that works with stock sender and I have used it on other VWs with same issue and they work just fine or better than nothing I should say. With stock sender, if I ever do find a new stock fuel gauge, I can simply switch back.
Wow. OK. 1974 Karmann Ghia, if I find one in my travels . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles