Throttle Position Switch Missing

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Dubstar77
I'm New!

Throttle Position Switch Missing

Post by Dubstar77 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi, I have a 1976, 2litre FI bus... I have noticed that my throttle position switch has been completely removed by the previous owner. The question is do I need one? The bus runs well but every now and again it will miss at high speeds when just touching the gas pedal. Could this be because my throttle position switch is gone? Or is the switch just used to tell the CPU that you have your foot completely down on the gas pedal? (I have never put my foot flat to the floor so do I not need one?!)

Any help or advice would be appreciated...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Throttle Position Switch Missing

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Dubstar77 wrote:Hi, I have a 1976, 2litre FI bus... I have noticed that my throttle position switch has been completely removed by the previous owner. The question is do I need one? The bus runs well but every now and again it will miss at high speeds when just touching the gas pedal. Could this be because my throttle position switch is gone? Or is the switch just used to tell the CPU that you have your foot completely down on the gas pedal? (I have never put my foot flat to the floor so do I not need one?!)

Any help or advice would be appreciated...
Count the terminals on the AFM. If you have seven (7), the fuel injection is likely to be a later system that does not use the throttle position switch. Does the harness have a dangling connector down their in the vicinity?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Dubstar77
I'm New!

Re: Throttle Position Switch Missing

Post by Dubstar77 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks for the reply... I have counted 7 terminals on my AFM and there is no spare connector on the harness in this area... I will now stop fretting about it!