1978 2.o fuel injected

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

1978 2.o fuel injected

Post by khargis » Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

hey folks, this is kris. I drove my bus home from portland to the coast, ran strong minus a little pausing in 3rd gear at 60mph, but once in fourth that went away. Have not been able to figure that one out. But then, I went to start up my bus this morning and it cranked fine, but started clicking and would not turn over? I checked the connections to the starter and solenoid, grounding strap, coil and all looked fine, I also bridged the starter and solenoid bolts and heard the spinning. Any thoughts? Thanks as always. Kris
'slow n' steady'

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Re: 1978 2.o fuel injected

Post by khargis » Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 pm

:scratch: :scratch: So I checked all the grounds behind the steering column and found a g. wire connector that was broken and so loose it came off when i touched the wire. I replaced the connector and the bus fired up pretty fine, it slightly made the clicking noise, but started and maintained idle. I shut off, waited and started again. I deemed drivable and took about a 20 min drive with a couple stops, still started, but on the way home it was runnin' all jerky mcjerkason and just as i was about home it paused as if it was about to die, but didn't. So i figure, the problem is not fixed or there are multiple problems!
'slow n' steady'

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Mon May 13, 2013 9:55 am

hey there folks. I am still trying to figure this one out. Here are a couple of conversations with Colin. I know he is busy along with everyone else, but if you have any thoughts or have had any similar activity, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. thank you, kris
khargis wrote:
Morning Colin, I tried your recommendation and I was hopeful, but same deal. I got under the starter/solenoid again yesterday and cross the battery nut and the ignition switch terminal, then rapped on the solenoid a bit and since then, the engine has been turning over regularly, but not without some resistance and a fair amount of clicking/rattling. I did some reading and also saw that the pinion or flywheel could have some input in this? I want to get to the bottom of this by myself as I have a few days to kill, but i guess I am lacking experience and a little confidence, but hey, I am here and listening. I know you are busy, so thank you in advance for your input. kris
Solenoid and starter are working correctly.
Electrical contact is iffy.
Experiment:
Next time you get the rattle-clicky- stop!
Now try to restart by pressing in on the key as you turn to start.
Let me know if it starts normally.

Colin[/quote]
Amskeptic wrote:
khargis wrote:Sounds good Colin, I will remain flexible. Thanks (one question for ya - when i go to start my bus, i get a loud clicking/rattling from the right rear solenoid/starter area. Sometimes it turns over, sometimes not. I have gotten under there and tested the starter by crossing the 2 main nuts on the solenoid, it whirrs into action, then, with the bus in neutral, i cross the 'battery' nut on solenoid with the ignition switch connector and the engine acted like it was starting to turn over. Does this tell me that my solenoid is shot? kris
:scratch:
'slow n' steady'

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon May 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Bushing ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."