OVERVIEW

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

OVERVIEW

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:54 pm

The air-cooled Volkswagen took root around the world because of the exceptional quality offered in a unique design that was well-engineered.
It earned a loyal following because it was honest, easy to work on, refreshingly direct in its manners, all delivered with beautiful craftsmanship at a very reasonable price.

Disdained and ridiculed at its introduction to the United States in 1949, the VW was the antithesis of what the Conventional Wisdom held as fact, that people wanted ever bigger flashier and more powerful cars.

Its stunning success trashed the conventional wisdom. Apparently there were quite a number of people who were sick of the huge sloppy excesses of the 50's, they just wanted a simple car to get around in. Turns out the simple cars were reliable and a lot of fun to drive too. People who had been subjected to the empty florid vapid suggestiveness of domestic automobile advertising also appreciated the terrific Doyle Dane Bernbach ads that spoke with intelligent directness and used simple photographs to show off these self-described "ugly" cars. The first Volkswagen owners were a proud fraternity of people who knew they had a gem of a car that few onlookers even bothered to understand.

This site is dedicated to furthering the values that the air-cooled VW represented. We want to keep it simple, offer quality resources, and we want to respect the unique talents of those who may be responding to the beat of a different drummer. We are also rabidly committed to championing the cause of Buy Quality Parts! PAY! Cough it up! Suffer a little! You will find that the pain goes away sooner than getting a bargain that falls apart in your lap or doesn't even fit. We will compile a compendium of Known Acceptable Parts and Belatedly Discovered Junk.

The vehicle forums are primarily dedicated to community interactions, the day-to-day Life With Your Volkswagen. Feel free to share your successes, conundrums, travels, and travails. You are invited to ask questions and better yet, answer questions as you become proficient.

The technical forums are organized by system to help you generalize your knowledge amongst all the VWs that share the same engineering principles while you can more easily hunt down the information you seek. These forums will help suppress irrelevancy (and you can help by paying attention to what you feel you must share in these forums) by virtue of the fact that people will be less likely (thus far disproven) to sprout chatty little cliques in such a dry engineering environment. We want to emphasize successful diagnosis/troubleshooting/solutions in these forums because it is the single most important skill you will need to possess to truly enjoy and utilize your VW.

We are not afraid of social commentary, politics, or religion here. We are citizens first, hobbyists second. We invite you to participate using your advanced adult behavior skill set. The people who are drawn to air-cooled VWs now, as way back then, tend to appreciate quality and charm in a unique package that still falls well outside of the conventional box. You will find that much of our Free Speech commentary follows the above recipe. Enjoy the diversity. Keep your emotional triggers at home.

The increasing interest in these cars may be signalling a new return to the old values that made these cars great in the first place. We hope to honor them here.
Colin
(comments and suggestions welcomed)

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: OVERVIEW

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:11 pm

I can tip one for that sentiment Colin. Summed it all up.

Good golly, Bertha looks to be the scrapper in that line-up. Works in progress, always.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:35 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I can tip one for that sentiment Colin. Summed it all up.

Good golly, Bertha looks to be the scrapper in that line-up. Works in progress, always.

neal
Aw heck, Bertha is *untouchable*, Bertha is the Real Deal, there is no trailer queen in the land that can say a thing to Bertha.
Colin
Deposits All In By April 30th!
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,230 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . .188,616 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 70,830 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,560 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:27 am

You are too kind, thanks.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Love what you wrote Colin, thanks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:47 am

Marya70Riviera wrote:Love what you wrote Colin, thanks.
Hi!

Thank you!

Years later, my heart is still devoted to these cars, only worse still. I am a poodle-purse old lady masquerading as a little baldy with three Volkswagens. You should hear me now, talking to them and other evidence of dementia.
Colin
(welcome)
Deposits All In By April 30th!
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,230 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . .188,616 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 70,830 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,560 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
Old School!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Super late to the party.....3 years!?! First time I read this. I like it. Sums up the spirit of this forum very nicely.

Oh and Neal...you should wear your patina proud! That's what Vdub's were designed for. (Yeah, and I have a slight bias...my nickname with my ride biddies is puppy.... they see anything with a hint of usage, and they call it "puppy patina". BTW - still feel quite honored that I was the first to send you a text message on your very first cell phone.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...8 completely solid lifters.... now it's both kinda noisy and leaky, but she sure runs good!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Return to “The IAC Mission”