Roof Racks!

Performance Parts & Accessories not related to a specific model.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Roof Racks!

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:51 am

Yes, our rack envy has reached critical mass and the search has begun. We're looking for roof racks for Bertha. The dual set-up would be ideal, the smaller one for the front, and the larger one for the back, leaving the pop-top poppable.

Either or, or both. If'n you have a lead or a rack kicking around, let me know.

thanks,
neal and cheryle
The slipper has no teeth.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Re: Roof Racks!

Post by MeyerII » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:39 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Yes, our rack envy has reached critical mass and the search has begun. We're looking for roof racks for Bertha. The dual set-up would be ideal, the smaller one for the front, and the larger one for the back, leaving the pop-top poppable.

Either or, or both. If'n you have a lead or a rack kicking around, let me know.

thanks,
neal and cheryle
Contact Notchback on either the Samba or the SEWR. I think he might have a couple -- don't know if they are suitable for T2's. Otherwise, its always a good idea to check with either Lind or Campingbox (Greg Noble): they're usually sitting on piles of good stuff.

And of course if you're willing to pay going price, get in touch with Pedro. He makes great racks.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks Meyer! Yes, hoping to find something as low budget as possible.

neal

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 pm

i am listing an original voa half rack that used to sit on my doublecab. fits both bays and splits. it is immaculate. no dings, never welded, zero rust. blasted and all powder coated white. complete with all clamps and hardware. no messed up threads, show quality. stored indoors the past three years. there are a few pictures of it in my gallery. no shipping, pick up. 450 firm, no trades.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Skin, You never got back to me awhile ago about clamps you might have for my full rack. Sent pics and also looked into guy in midwest that makes repos - would rather have original ones . Any available ? Im a recluse and never get to shows such as Classic last weekend. I can only send picts via email. ????

Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Wow, sounds deluxe, and unfortunately, financially out of the question at the moment. We did pick up a used rack from Trafton for $100, and even more recently, finally got it mounted.

Thanks, though, and I know it's there and perhaps will be when things get plusher.

neal

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:15 pm

i nearly fig'd that neal, but wanted to keep the subject of roof racks under one woof. barb if you ever want discuss or chat certainly pm me and we can move over to email. i'm all about it, though i'm unable to sell clamps at this moment. deeper into the summer is best as i'm having some health issues while tending to over-my-head electrical work and children transitioning from school to summer activities. nothing new that i would have to photo until well into july.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:21 pm

Kool thanks for reply b/e
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 am

I 2 would like a roof rack but don't have the funds. They seem pretty useful though.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:24 am

i couldn't live with out one. i have two hwe racks i use for hauling pots to sf, and recently picked up a matching ladder too inexpensive to pass up. i started out with a wimpy rack and traded and traded up. once you have one the value holds, then over time add a few bucks to it and you get what you want. or find swingin' deals - whatever happens to come first.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am

skin daddio wrote:i am listing an original voa half rack that used to sit on my doublecab. fits both bays and splits. it is immaculate. no dings, never welded, zero rust. blasted and all powder coated white. complete with all clamps and hardware. no messed up threads, show quality. stored indoors the past three years. there are a few pictures of it in my gallery. no shipping, pick up. 450 firm, no trades.
picked up by the owner at 480., gone to colorado.
i prefer the hwe racks. the ladders for them are great but not entirely cut out for bay buses. still, i really like that set up, so i'm not torn up to see the rack go.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:13 pm

most of the racks for sale need a bunch of work it seems, when the really nice ones come up they are way too much $$$

im going the homebuilt route instead (paying someone, not welding myself), here is the progress thus far:

1979 California Transporter

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:38 pm

airkooledchris wrote:most of the racks for sale need a bunch of work it seems, when the really nice ones come up they are way too much $$$

im going the homebuilt route instead (paying someone, not welding myself), here is the progress thus far:

very very cool akc. i do say money is some fucked up hash.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Is that stainless steel? Very nice!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:45 pm

installed! here it is all painted and mounted up on the bus.
1979 California Transporter