It's A Marvelous Mystery To Me

All the strange little accessories for your ACVW.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

It's A Marvelous Mystery To Me

Post by Bookwus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Hiya All,

So, I'm wondering, is the following item really what it's cracked up to be?

Take a look.............

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=828773

I can remember seeing devices like this (although never on a VW) when I was working my way through college at a service station. And I've always wondered whether this was a snake oil kinda item or it actually did some good for the engine.

Any input on this thing one way or another would be appreciated.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Hmmmmmm...What do that thing? Upper cylinder lubricator?

If so, I wouldn't bother.

You can put MM in your gas tank, but even that is probably not doing anything meaningful for you.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Hmm... what did these devices do, exactly? I'm not getting it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:57 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:Hmm... what did these devices do, exactly? I'm not getting it.
Back in the Teens and Twenties, cars had oilers and chassis lubricators. With the Packards, you opened up petcocks that fed oil to bronze bushings in the suspension.

This stuff is huckstering.
The MARVEL INVERSE OILER is built to feed MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and is designed only for this material.

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL is compounded to prevent the development of harmful conditions found in the upper area of every internal combustion engine, such as worn intake valve stems gummed piston rings, sticking of exhaust valves and rapid wear on pistons and cylinder walls. MARVEL MYSTERY OIL will also reduce these conditions and/or their effects when already present in an engine.

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL is not just an oil but contains costly ingredients that act to produce a smooth slow idle without engine stalling - faster engine pick-up, especially in high gear - lower oil consumption - easy starting - and a power pull that is even.
Fuel consumption will naturally be reduced as a result of increased engine efficiency and flexibility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL

The MARVEL INVERSE OILER is operated by vacuum in the intake manifold, but inversely to the vacuum. When the vacuum in the manifold is high, such as when engine is running at idle (closed throttle) only a small amount of oil will feed, as engine is given work to do (throttle opened) the manifold vacuum falls and oiler automatically feeds more rapidly, increasing or decreasing oil flow now in strict accordance with the amount of work demanded of the engine.

Accelerating or gunning the engine without load will not show oiler action. Engine must be pulling under load.

Avoid operating oiler with container empty, as this will cause valve and seat to wear excessively.

Use of materials other than MARVEL MYSTERY OIL are apt to gum, corrode or rust the oiler and will VOID OWNER'S GUARANTEE
Ahh yeshhh, only the finest ingredients, expensive ones.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:53 am

Amskeptic wrote: Ahh yeshhh, only the finest ingredients, expensive ones.
Just like motor oils today---"8X less wear!" (Than what?)

MM oil is good for freeing stuck lifters, etc. But with modern motor oils (ad BS notwithstanding) You don't need to feed MM oil into your engine on a regular basis.
My 2 cents.

Still the oiler is a cool collectors' item.