Take the Bus to the bike trail

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Re: Take the Bus to the bike trail

Post by bretski » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:54 am

There are lots of other options. I would love a Fiamma, but my disposable income tends to go to other things. For the bus, I would suggest a hitch-mount if you are setup properly for one. I have an old trunk-mount style rack (Rhode Gear, I think), that works well enough for camping trips...straps attach to the rain gutters and the apron below the engine hatch. Most of the time, the bikes just go in the bus. Take off the front wheel, and in it goes...

Over the winter, I acquired a "new-to-me" road bike. We have an excellent secondary bicycle market in Fort Collins. Still working on dialing-in the fit. I need a shorter stem for it, and some new pedals. It's about 40% lighter than my old steelie road bike, helps me climb like a kid. :-)
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:51 am

I am still riding the bike trail on the weekends when I can. I find when I can't ride I miss it terribly. When I go, I get all sorts of comments on the Bus, it seems to fit amongst the BMW's and Lexus SUV's. And no one gets comments on their Lexus in the trail parking lot, but I do!

This is from this weekend, getting chilly and leaves starting to turn and fall.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm

It's the way to go. I enjoy the hell out of biking! And it helps keep the gut in check.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 am

bretski wrote:There are lots of other options. I would love a Fiamma, but my disposable income tends to go to other things. For the bus, I would suggest a hitch-mount if you are setup properly for one. I have an old trunk-mount style rack (Rhode Gear, I think), that works well enough for camping trips...straps attach to the rain gutters and the apron below the engine hatch. Most of the time, the bikes just go in the bus. Take off the front wheel, and in it goes...

Over the winter, I acquired a "new-to-me" road bike. We have an excellent secondary bicycle market in Fort Collins. Still working on dialing-in the fit. I need a shorter stem for it, and some new pedals. It's about 40% lighter than my old steelie road bike, helps me climb like a kid. :-)
Back to this answer, on a 71 Bus, a hitch mount sure sounds like one way I want to go, however would that not require some major mods to the bumper?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.