Take the Bus to the bike trail

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Take the Bus to the bike trail

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:07 pm

This weekend I broke out the bike and hit the bike trail up the road from me. Years ago when I biked 60 + miles a week I would never have considered a bike path, but let me tell you they are a lot safer than the roads. Not that I will only use a bike trail, but it is a nice trail I have just a few miles from me. Part of it is closed or I would have rode the bike to it, hopefully it will open soon. Here are some shots from this weekend, although paltry to what I used to do, I did 18 miles this weekend. If you have one near you, give it a try, it may get you back on a bike.

Here is Sam in the parking spot. huh only ACVW there.

Other side of the parking lot, for those who need to get comfy after a ride:

This is part of the trail, it is a wetland preserve and surrounded by swamps. Lots of bridges too, lots of joggers and few bikers.

Part of the woods surrounding the preserve.

Springtime in Georgia.

This is an old road, there is cement on both sides through the creek. Wondering if this was an old logging road, too fancy for a farmer to have put in and that tree is right in the way so that indicates it is fairly old.

Hillside in blossom. I believe that is a deerstand in the tree to the left.

Double tree in the middle of a cow pasture.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Re: Take the Bus to the bike trail

Post by RussellK » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Is that the Silver Comet?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:43 pm

I love a dedicated bike path. I need to do the Springwater Corridor trail here in Portland sometime. I used to commute from Springfield to my job at Harry's on the Canal near University of Oregon's Autzen Stadium many many moons ago. A great stretch of Willamette riverside dedicated bike path. It got thick in the summer, and was insanely dark at night with no lights. Even had road-kill on the bike, a rabbit darted out and under my back wheel. Thump.

Great shots. I love spring.
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:45 pm

RussellK wrote:Is that the Silver Comet?
Nope, it is the Big Creek Greenway Trail System, this is the link.

http://www.alpharetta.ga.us/index.php?p=136
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Beautiful Georgia. I biked through it from Phenix City to Magnolia Springs (the last place I remember without looking it up, before S.C., which is also beautiful). We had a good time through Georgia. We camped under a bridge in a downpour somewhere. I have to find the documentation. Anyhow, everyone was absolutely accommodating through Georgia. In Macon we stayed in someone's backyard, etc. The military bases were strange to be around. But enough stories of the past. I have some pictures of around here on bike paths. I will post hem in the next day or so. So different at this time of year. No leaves on trees, but frogs singing. We were in Georgia in April 1990 too.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:26 am

Let's see a shot of your bike.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 am

hiwaycallin wrote:Let's see a shot of your bike.
It is nothing special, not one of the ones I see on the roads with the people that look like they are competing professionally. I bet those bikes are not cheap. I will get a shot of it.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:22 am

Nice photos. Looks like a beautiful day to be on a bicycle!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:56 pm

We had bad storms yesterday, and when I went to the trail today it was flooded for the most part. I went anyway, and rode through a lot of water. None more than up to mid calf but I rode through it all and back. most of the trail was closed down due to the flooding. Here is two shots when I entered the water. The sides of the bridge you see were used by this woman and her kids, they were very determined to get running. This bridge is three feet above the water on a normal day, it was flowing pretty fast here.

I doubt I will ever become a mountain trail biker, but this was pretty to ride through just the same.

I'll go back tomorrow and see how much it has cleared.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Nice trail. Do you hear frogs out now or anything? I'm trying to get a handle on the different ones in mating season here now. All I've heard is the chorus frogs and LOUD along the one bike trail I've been taking. They sound like running your thumb over a comb's teeth. I know there are others out now, but I havn't heard them yet, as I've only been visiting the one trail. We have tons of bike trails here. I need to tune my bike and hit them. I'll post the few pics of the one trail reach I always take with the chorus frogs.
Here's the frog call: http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3078 ... 1543bhyuZX
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 am

There are frogs all over that place I am sure. We have huge ones near my subdivision, bullfrogs. My father who caught ate frog legs with gusto would have a field day there.

The water had indeed subsided today, it was a huge difference from yesterday when I rode calf high through the water. I wonder what the snake population is there in the summer? I guess I will be finding out.

This is a shot of my bike. it is a 2009 Diamondback Egdewood. When I was 25 or so I had a gel seat on my 12 speed. Now this has a shock in the seat post, when you are a bit older you appreciate it more than busting your ass after riding 18 miles. I did see a guy in a reclining bike today, he was flying. He should be on the road for sure, and I will too when I find routes I can go without being run over. I have a problem with bikers in congested areas, I know some times it can't be helped but when there are no bike routes and you have the drivers down here, I don't see how we don't have more bike fatalities. I would never think about riding down a major road in this area.

This is my bike today, I did wipe the mud off after this shot:

Catalog shot of my bike.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:06 am

RussellK wrote:Is that the Silver Comet?
I am going to do this this summer, maybe late May. 61 Miles to the border of Alabama. and into Anniston Alabama if I want. However, 61 miles in one day sounds doable for me, I am not a speed biker. This is one of the trails they made from old rail road tracks. and end to end is 90 miles. I don't think even in my 20's I could do 90 miles in one day.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Question for the bike riders on this site, how many miles do you do in a day? I am up to 32 a day Saturday and Sunday only, and not sure I can do 60 a day but would like to try later in the summer. The only part that hurts is my ass, boy I would not make it as a mountain biker.

Man you see all kinds out here, people with their dogs in bike baskets and the pull behind trailers. Actually saw a man and woman with their dogs in those chest baby carriers! I wanted to rip up his man card on the spot. I just shook my head and pedaled on.

I saw one man built like a fireman pushing his son in one of those runner strollers on an 85 degree day for 12 miles at least, RUNNING the whole route. My helmet was off to him.

I actually had a brown spotted owl fly just in front of me, he had to have a wingspan of seven feet at least and just ten feet in front of me. Just today I ran smack into a wasp that was caught between my helmet and sunglasses. Just about wiped out shaking that one out of there, luckily did not get stung.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Sylvester wrote:Question for the bike riders on this site, how many miles do you do in a day? I am up to 32 a day Saturday and Sunday only, and not sure I can do 60 a day but would like to try later in the summer. The only part that hurts is my ass, boy I would not make it as a mountain biker.
I raced when I was young, and did many miles. Now at 43 I"m lucky if I can do 25-30; every other day is about as often as I can manage that. Cut my work schedule and I could do more, but then what would I eat? :drunken:

Mike

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Sometimes 30, sometimes 80. It just depends on how much of the day I have. We did a century a couple of years ago but my wife said never again. I'd love to come down and do the Silver Comet with you. All concrete surface smooth as glass. Your butt shouldn't hurt. I would consult with a bike shop and try to learn what you might change. Bike shorts? Chamois Cream? Fit? Maybe our resident expert Velo can weigh in.