Site Development?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Site Development?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:02 am

I would like to see the model-specific forums be "general" in nature because community will develop as people share the particular day-to-day quirks of each model. Just to work the inclusiveness angle, should we have just Beetle/Karmann Ghia/Bus/Type III/TypeIV forums regardless of year? Would it make sense for early beetles, late beetles and super beetles to interact as a group and splitties to interact with bays in the same forum O:) while we're still small? (think big)
Too many forums while we're small makes for some quiet forums.

The technical forums can be more specific and responsive to peoples' immediate emergencies, no fooling around with chit-chat gotta find the problem there's a camp-out/show in three weeks. These forums can be based on vehicle systems that all air-cooled VWs share. At the top of each technical forum, we can have a sticky called Diagnostics or Trouble-shooting. They would be continually evolving. I know that smart beetle mechanics would have lots to share in a suspension forum that would apply to bus suspension issues. Squareback clutch issues are germaine to Karmann Ghia clutch issues. Electrical gurus could easily generalize to all models. The technical forums would be more focused on problem solving and you could then return to your model-specific forum and report on the results with all of your friends who are also dealing with heater blower relays and whatnot. Cross-pollination would be helpful to everyone.
*The hook with this site would be exceptional clarity through the diagnostics*

Ideas and suggestions on how to structure the site is most-welcome.
This whole thing was going to remain under development until fall, but it looks like plans changed. A little scrambling but that's life.

I will start building a general overview of diagnostics/trouble-shooting. I cannot add artistic assistance until after the itinerary. Flow charts in color will be cool. They will follow the book's color assignments. I hope to get together with Sluggo in L.A. in a few weeks so we can organize this thing a bit and get the graphics going.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:14 am

You mean like, platform forums for cars that share platforms. With drive train forums for types I and III. And separate forums for type I and type IV in a type II? Damn I'm confused

:dmark4: :dmark6: :dmark5: :dmark7: :dmark12: :smt017

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:42 am

vdubyah73 wrote:You mean like, platform forums for cars that share platforms. With drive train forums for types I and III. And separate forums for type I and type IV in a type II? Damn I'm confused
Suspension/Steering

Brakes

Transaxle/Driveline

Engine

Fuel

Exhaust

Electrical

Body/Hardware

Air-cooled VWs share essentially the same engineering solutions. The diagnostics/trouble-shooting in each of these categories is almost identical.
That *includes* Type 1 engines and Type 4 engines in the same technical forum. They are far more similar than different. The walls between Type 4 and Type 1 are mostly psychological ](*,)
You work out the individual nuances in your particular vehicle forum.
The above, I think will allow the broadest learning. It will also allow a tighter search?
Yaaah? Nein?
Colin

Remember that posts in each of these will have subject headers that you can find or avoid at your pleasure. I'd only ask that folks identify what they have, which is a good thing to do at all times.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:17 pm

I like the idea of "All for One and One for All" with our air cooled.
And think it will help keep the site from 6% of seperation, however I
hope a lot of photos will be included for explaination of what is being
taught. So many after market parts and changes over the years it takes alot of searcing to find , if even at all. Yes the end result of a oil /air cleaner, carb, fuel pump, distributor, valve adjustment, ect. is all the same but may look really diff in Bently and other publications than what your engine has on it.

Colin, with due respect, you have seen it all so very many times and your vocabulary is vast. Im not the fastest bus on the block, but have been around it a few times to understand most things but I have to read and re-read your posts most of the time, and as we have laft at in past, have my dictionary very close at hand. Because of this, and hopfully a bunch of newcomers to the IAC , think about the illistrations and pictures to back up your teaching.

You know I love ya ? Right? Rite? 8) Elwood

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:27 pm

I think you could probably separate carbs and FI.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:24 pm

DurocShark wrote:I think you could probably separate carbs and FI.
There are many separations that could occur and make sense even. But consider having these systems represented across the entire model line-up. Over time, you would be exposed to all variations of fuel delivery in every Volkswagen and you would become more aware of all. Just an inadvertent visit to a fuel system forum thread " Fastback blowing black smoke" where you read how a leaky vacuum hose to the manifold sensor can make it rich, and at the next show you could help someone with a hard start that has black puffs of gas-smelling exhaust as it tries to catch.

Diagnostically, you start with "fuel supply issue" Everybody has gas tanks and filters and hoses and pumps. Carb pump delivery veers into pushrod strokes while FI goes into electrical, but we still share having to address pressure/volume measurements.

I think exposure to the larger group of systems actually helps you learn about your own. Is it worth an experiment?
Colin

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Is it worth an experiment?
Definitely.

Carbs are universal. FI, while mostly consistant across the various models, tends to be more involved technically and "carb guys" may not want to even think about it... :smt002

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:27 am

Separation, segregation of departments is OK, but there is something to be said for casually scrolling thru a smorgasbord of Bus questions and stumbling onto things you can put in your pocket for another day. ..dont want it too sterilized.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:14 pm

dingo wrote:Separation, segregation of departments is OK, but there is something to be said for casually scrolling thru a smorgasbord of Bus questions and stumbling onto things you can put in your pocket for another day. ..dont want it too sterilized.
I gotta agree with this 100%.

What does this emoticon mean? :smt117
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:01 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
dingo wrote:Separation, segregation of departments is OK, but there is something to be said for casually scrolling thru a smorgasbord of Bus questions and stumbling onto things you can put in your pocket for another day. ..dont want it too sterilized.

It would be easier if the smiley was choking it......
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:27 pm

spiffy wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:

It would be easier if the smiley was choking it......

I agree also at putting info in your pocket for another day, my pockets are really full! Kinda feel like the "Rappin' Granny" on America's got Talent" but don,t like rap.

Do know what choking the chickin used to mean , but in cyber space , not so sure, this is a net chatchin a chicken~~~~Hence "Net Chic" I Are one!!! What do you think?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:01 pm

Could you develop this a bit? I can't quite tell if you are suggesting a different structure.
I want to know what you think of having the vehicle specific forums to be more relaxed with Life With (Your Car Here) and then allow the technical systems forums to tighten up the learning trouble-shooting-repair dialogue. You are invited to share your dilemma-research-resolution from the technical area back to the vehicle forum from which you came. . .
Colin

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:24 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Could you develop this a bit? I can't quite tell if you are suggesting a different structure.
I want to know what you think of having the vehicle specific forums to be more relaxed with Life With (Your Car Here) and then allow the technical systems forums to tighten up the learning trouble-shooting-repair dialogue. You are invited to share your dilemma-research-resolution from the technical area back to the vehicle forum from which you came. . .
Colin
I think diagnostic flow charts would make the most sense, that way dialogue is kept mostly in the vehicle forums. This would seemingly burden a few artistic folks to post. The flow charts could be linked as their relevance to the particular system became useful. Basically take those troubleshooting guides and interconnect/embelish them.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:13 pm

spiffy wrote:
I think diagnostic flow charts would make the most sense, that way dialogue is kept mostly in the vehicle forums
Zactly.
I would love to do a successive opening windows method of flow chart, like the Windows troubleshooters. Are they a protected property?
Can it be done or would it be a bandwidth-eating multi-layered e-hell? I was thinking we could embed links to pictures to help illustrate the points. Having a "skip this" could allow people to cruise where their issue is.
(Copyright 2006 Colin Kellogg All Rights Reserved if ^ is a good idea!)
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:49 am

Colin

Im not sure what i want...to be honest ! I DO like the casual rambling thru assorted unconnected Bus issues...I also DO like being able to zoom in quickly on say...Hot Start Issues...or Rear -Brake rebuild or whatever.

The separation at Shoptalks-forum works quite efficiently, but its also good to have a collective lounge area where people can hang out and spit out whatever question comes up. Best of both worlds...would be optimal ?? not sure how that would be done....
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."