Stereos

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Stereos

Post by DurocShark » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:14 am

I guess stereo stuff should prolly go in here since it applies to all vehicles. Thoughts?

Anyway, I was just prepping the harness for the stereo from the Volvo to go into the Guac. Putting new crimp connectors and heatshrink, etc. For some reason I couldn't for the life of me remember if the purple/green wires went front or rear. I thought they went to rears, but didn't want to wait until I plugged it in to find out. So off to the pioneer website.

I have a DEH-7500MP. It's from 2003. It has the OEL (Organic Electro-Luminescent) display. But one thing I didn't know...

IT'S PROGRAMMABLE!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

I can't wait to play with it... heehee I've already downloaded the software to do it, and have made a simple zoom from a nose image of the Guac. So it zooms into my swirl design:

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:56 am

Good on ya for doing that.

I just sold off my old Mercedes Diesel, but before I did, I ripped out the CD player in it. It's just a cheapy JVC DVD/MP3 player, but it will be heaps better than the older Kenwood (cough-cough) cassette deck that is currently in the dash of my '71.

We have come a long way since early Pioneer Supertuner underdash cassette decks that didn't like the iffy generators in our VWs.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:37 pm

We have an older Alpine CDA7837; He said that on Phred, the purple and green went to the rear...

That same swirl design is rather ancient and can be seen in a number of things, many of them Celtic in origin. Where I saw it live was on the outside of one of the buildings of New Grange in Ireland. That's a 6000 year old Pre-Christian site. Pretty cool place that is. Cool on the nose of the Guac too. :joker:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:41 pm

FRONT:
Grey FR+
Grey/Black FR-

White FL+
White/Black FL-

Black Ground

Blue Power Antennae
Blue/White Remote Lead

REAR:

Violet RR+
Violet/Black RR-

Green RL+
Green/Black RL-

Yellow Battery Lead
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Thanks, I did find them on the site. I was just excited about being able to design my own display graphics.

I did everything according to the instructions, but when I pushed the buttons on the head unit to put it in download mode, nothing happens. I've got an email into Pioneer. Not that I expect them to support a 4 year old stereo, but I'm hoping...

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:58 pm

Oh, and here's the pics, of course:

Installed:

Harness before:

Harness after:

Here's what regular insulated crimp connectors look like when you cut the plastic off:

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Nice job on that install! BTW, where are you located at? 106.7 used to be KROQ in Los Angeles when I still lived there and it was one of my favorite stations.
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:02 pm

zblair wrote:Nice job on that install! BTW, where are you located at? 106.7 (or was it 106.1 or something else???) used to be KROQ in Los Angeles when I still lived there and it was one of my favorite stations.
106.7 is KROQ in CA, and KBPI (sorta like KLOS I guess) here in CO.

105.5 in LA used to be KNAC (they're online only now) and is Jack here. I forget what Jack is in CA. 103 something I think...

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:42 pm

God! KLOS 95.5 - that brings back some memories as does KMET - Little bit o heaven 94.7, KMET, tweedle-dee! there used to be a guy on KROQ that used to have an office decorated in Bowie stuff and I saw Bowie a number of times so I listened to him when I could stay up.

KLBJ is the KLOS equivalent here in Austin, but not really. KLOS was better, wider variety of stuff played. 101X is the alternative statiion but I don't care for it as they repeat too much. Although they do have a show called "The next new thing" with Andy Langer and that can be pretty decent.

KGSR is a good station here, lots of mix there. KUT has a show on Monday nights appropriately titled "Blue Monday" that is my absolute favorite blues program. If you like blues, give it a listen. 8pm-12am is usually when it's on.

Been listening a lot more to Sirius choices for alternative lately. It's the commercials on commercial radio that suck so bad.
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:10 am

Heh... I remember the Mighty 'Met! I was in high school when it went under.

At work all I listen to is KNAC, though my coworkers listen to KROQ since they broadcast online as well.

The david bowie office? That was the guy with the british accent, right? He leaves and comes back a lot. For the life of me I can't remember his name. Used to do the 80's lunch most recently.

My favorite ROQ dejays were Rodney (had all the hookups with local bands) and Jed the Fish. They're both still there...

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:31 am

DurocShark wrote:The david bowie office? That was the guy with the british accent, right? He leaves and comes back a lot. For the life of me I can't remember his name. Used to do the 80's lunch most recently.
Richard Blade. Used to host Video One here in L.A. (not VH1) I remeber in High School there was an article in LA Weekly about how he grew up in Pasadena and shouldn't have an accent.

Rodny Bingenheimer was great! He always looked like a reject from the Monkees.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 am

Sluggo wrote:
DurocShark wrote:The david bowie office? That was the guy with the british accent, right? He leaves and comes back a lot. For the life of me I can't remember his name. Used to do the 80's lunch most recently.
Richard Blade. Used to host Video One here in L.A. (not VH1) I remeber in High School there was an article in LA Weekly about how he grew up in Pasadena and shouldn't have an accent.

That's his name!!! Thanks! It was bugging me... heh

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:41 am

DurocShark wrote:
Sluggo wrote:

That's his name!!! Thanks! It was bugging me... heh
I contain mountains of useless trivia.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:51 am

I've been driving around with a KROQ sticker on the Guac... Because at the Little Miss Sunshine event, you got free food if you had a KROQ sticker. I grabbed one off the table there and stuck it on.

Got a free soda and free popcorn.

:cheers:

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:02 pm

Rodney on the ROQ. Wow! Thanks for remembering Richard Blade too!

It's been a really long while since I thought about KROQ and things L.A. Last time I was there was in 1998 and it never occured to me to find them online. Now that I did these **&%$@#!!!! have their firewall up so I can't listen to it at work even though I registered for the listen at work force. I can at home though. :cheers:

I've got one of those baby in front of the twilight zone background that's orange and black and white KROQ stickers somewhere around here. I had one for a long time on my fridge next to a "Steal your face" Dead sticker. Sometimes I am just hopelessly hippie. Or maybe a 70's throwback from Cali. That just seems like ages ago; I guess since I left L.A. in 1983 that qualifies for ages ago. :geek:
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra