Volvo: Perpetual squealing belts - With solution!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Volvo: Perpetual squealing belts - With solution!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 pm

1984 Volvo 244GL with an 85 B230 engine.

After alt and water pump replacement a little over a year ago, I couldn't get the alt belts (yes, two, both going from the alt pulley to the crank pulley... go figger) to stop squealing when the headlights or heater blower were on. At least, not at idle. Once rolling it would usually recover.

I went through belts like candy. Driving me nuts. Everything looked lined up, the alt was adjusted as tight as I could, yet I couldn't shut the things up.

These belts are 3 months old:

On the Swedish Bricks list a few people recommended replacing the alt bracket bushings.

Bushings? Oh, crap. I saw those in my myriad trips under the car. Never would have thought about bushings on an alternator bracket. So even though I knew they were there, I couldn't seem to consider them as an issue.

So, here are the bushings I pulled out:

So, even though this wasn't an ACVW issue, it's a good reminder to NEVER ignore or disregard something just because you aren't familiar with it. Be very careful of mental blocks. They may be hiding what the real problem is.

Oh, and the belts are super silent now after installing new bushings and new Conti belts. Blower full blast, headlights on, high beams on, stereo on, windows rolling up and down, interior lights on, etc...

:cheers:

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:25 pm

Lesson learned! Yea - all those Volvo bushing all start to go after about 20 years - I just did my trailing arm bushing.

For another great Volvo resource, you might head on over to http://www.brickboard.com.

I am a fellow 240 owner ('86 244DL). Don't ya wish you could throw a b230F into a Type 2 :geek: :geek: ???
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:05 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:Lesson learned! Yea - all those Volvo bushing all start to go after about 20 years - I just did my trailing arm bushing.

For another great Volvo resource, you might head on over to http://www.brickboard.com.

I am a fellow 240 owner ('86 244DL). Don't ya wish you could throw a b230F into a Type 2 :geek: :geek: ???
There are adapter kits out there, but the engine is just too long.

Unless a Baja Bus is in the works... ;)

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:08 pm

Oh, and I *hate* the design of the Brickboard. I used to spend a lot of time there when I first got the 244.

Nice thing here: I ordered the bushings and belts from FCPGroton on Wed with their online form. Got 'em on Friday.

I love our VW vendors, but I have yet to find one who can do that.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:28 pm

Mr Blotto wrote: Don't ya wish you could throw a b230F into a Type 2 :geek: :geek: ???
Make it a B230FT and I might be interested. :-P
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:24 pm

DurocShark wrote:Oh, and I *hate* the design of the Brickboard. I used to spend a lot of time there when I first got the 244.

Nice thing here: I ordered the bushings and belts from FCPGroton on Wed with their online form. Got 'em on Friday.

Yea - FCP rocks!!!

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:26 pm

tristessa wrote:
Mr Blotto wrote: Don't ya wish you could throw a b230F into a Type 2 :geek: :geek: ???
Make it a B230FT and I might be interested. :-P
Turbo Shmurbo... :blackeye:

How about a Toyota 22RE in a Type 2? :geek:

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:32 pm

If we're gonna go to that much trouble...

WRX FTW!

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 am

DurocShark wrote:Oh, and I *hate* the design of the Brickboard. I used to spend a lot of time there when I first got the 244.

Yep, when I had to replace the hose from the intercooler to the intake, they got it to me really quickly as well.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:Turbo Shmurbo... :blackeye:
Hey, I've got a shmurbo in my 760 wagon, It does come in handy on occasion - :king:
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.