Kamping at KOA

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Having grown up tent camping (both the snow style while mountain climbing, and backpacking/car camping), I will be the first to admit I am now a fair weather camper - I don't mind going off road, but not too off road - I do like my conveniences as I've done the roughing it style for so many years.......My big plan for the kids is to take them to all the cool places on a sailboat that we experienced and loved when growing up, before they've changed forever.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Margaret, Yes know what you are talking about , its that "Been there Can do that" but I have pulled into KOA type and other new campgrounds and after showing them my registration for proof that Elwood is registered as a campmobile or something of the sort ( not with in easy reach to get the right terminoligy) but will not do that again!!! Just wanted a hot shower and use of laundry ect. Found it worse than my own space in Mt town. I hope to find places along the route to Arctic with more privacy. And I plan on staying in a few motel/hotels to get the space needed for my needs. Really glad to have had the space in time to take my grown daughters to places no more. I really like the long trail hikers and the gear they have to pack to see wilderness.

PDX_Hops
Getting Hooked!

Post by PDX_Hops » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:36 am

KOA's can be a very hit-and-miss proposition. On our trip out to Yellowstone/the Grand Tetons in May, we just needed a pit stop on our first night, so we hit a KOA in Mountain Home, ID. It was basically a combination campground/trailer park. Seriously, there were 30-year old ratty mobile homes lining the campground!

When we went to check in, there was a sign at the office saying the mgr was in the blue house across the driveway. This house was a decrepit old trailer with faded paint and torn astroturf on the cheaply built deck. The old fella that helped me out already reeked of beer at 5:00 in the afternoon. Pretty sad, really.

On the flip side, we've stayed at few KOA's that weren't too bad at all. The one in Jackson Hole in particular had pretty good privacy (for a campground) with lots of mature trees/bushes separating the campsites.

For that trip, the campgrounds worked out just fine, as they were really our home base for our 3 days of Yellowstone exploration.
'76 Westy Weekender- "Fran"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:26 am

Couple weeks ago we camped at a small county run campground on the Oregon coast. A very beautiful place "Whalen Island" right on the shores of a beautiful wooded salt marsh. However, right across the bay is another camprgound - open to ATVs. It sounded like the Armegeddon, 24 hours a day. Nothing but revving engines filled the air, even in the depths of night. How is that permitted? It's a shame, and I don't think I'll ever go back there.
It's really hard to find that wild experience on the Northern Coast, everything seems so developed. Sure, it looks primeval, but try staying overnite somewhere other than a State Park or a hotel...
Anyone have suggestions? I have been able to find a few wild places out in the Coast Range, but nothing actually on the ocean.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 am

Some years back we were on a vacation that ran from the midwest up to Cape Breton. We planned on stopping at Acadia NP but somewhere along the way we learned of a mysterious campground that wasn't advertised and was only a few miles from the National Park. The location was passed only by word of mouth. To get in you had to pass muster with the owner. The campground was owned by a very eccentric and very wealthy man in his mid 30's. It sounded like he came from old money and I'm sure his family were scratching their heads. He owned a considerable amount of land adjacent to Acadia, much of it oceanfront. His concern was stopping overdevelopment and he felt by running a campground, more people would be exposed to nature and would love it as much as he did. Even though he could easily have hired someone to do the heavy lifting he cleaned the showers, collected fees and engaged in all the mundane chores. He was extremely strict about the campground rules. There were RVs allowed but absolutely no radios, TVs etc "so you could hear the birds" absolutely no lights after dark "so you can see the stars" You could use a flashlight to walk to the bathroom & you could have a campfire but the all too familiar glow that comes from the party lights & the RV picture window was forbidden. There were no second chances. If he caught you, you were out. We loved it so much we stayed a couple of extra days. We need more campgrounds like that.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:12 am

RussellK wrote:He was extremely strict about the campground rules. There were RVs allowed but absolutely no radios, TVs etc "so you could hear the birds" absolutely no lights after dark "so you can see the stars" You could use a flashlight to walk to the bathroom & you could have a campfire but the all too familiar glow that comes from the party lights & the RV picture window was forbidden.
I throw a couple of group campouts a year. One of my rules is "No Coleman lanterns". I get people to bring kerosene lanterns instead. It makes a big difference.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:22 am

My wife and I have perfected the art of stealth camping for those nights when your driving from one location to another and just need to stop and sleep. We've thought about KOA's from time to time but the 30 bucks always seems to stop us. We just can't see spending 30 bucks to park in a spot at 11pm and then leave again at 7am so we work our mojo and usually find a free "camping" spot. Although I can say more than once we've woken up with a knock on the window from good ol Mr Copper.

I think after living in my bus that one summer and into the winter gave me the eye for finding that quiet spot where nobody bugs you. Then again we are also fans of Walmart Camping :) for those other nights when finding that special spot is just too hard.

For our destination camping spots (ie the places we are trying to camp at) they are not always the best pure camping spots. Rarely do we camp where camping is what we are there to do. Mostly we climb which is what usually determines where we stay. I will say though that of all the areas we've camped we definately have our favorites. Squamish BC has a nice provincial park at 9 bucks a day that is probably the nicest pay sites to stay at. SkullHollow near Smith Rock is our favorite free campground, although not as pretty a place as some. City of Rocks in Idaho has by far some of the coolest spots but again it can get busy. Then again Wild Iris in Wyoming has possibly the best hidden campspot anywhere and is even equipped with a pit toilet and at 9100ft elevation and on rolling hills with views of the Wind River its awesome!

Just some of my favorite places.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:33 pm

Anybody have suggestions about safty from intruders while camping? Not in campgrounds so much but alone. I must admit I have a fear of being along a road off the beaten path, by choice. Don,t want fear to hold me back. I do have a stun-gun, sold my 4/10 and 22 single shot after close call from a crazy dude a few yrs ago. Had it loaded and would have shot him. Sherrif came just in time. How about pepper spray or other defensive legal stuff out there??

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:02 pm

I would think a large dog would be a deterrent, although we had one that was the first in the tent once it got dark.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:06 pm

Just be loud, yell at them and use your cell phone. Even if your phone has no service pick it up and pretend your calling the cops anyway. make sure to yell that you are using your cell phone too.

We just lock our bus at night while we are in it and pull all the shades closed. If they can't see in they don't know who's in there or if you have a gun or what.

You can then always drive away. Basically though i wouldn't camp alone in an odd ball location away from everyone unless it was more like a national park, but nothing like outside a small town or in a wierd old truck stop. When I'm at rest stops I usually only park with the truckers and I'll leave a light on in the front so it looks like I'm up and then separate that light from the back cabin too.

It's like any of the self defense classes they teach for kids and adults, if you put up a fight and act difficult, yell, scream, etc they will most likely move on to another easier target.

When my wife is on her own though I make sure she has a good campground though with lots of other people around and I keep in good touch with her like where she is, who else is there and the times she plans on being there. She's done a couple trips on her own for work and car camped so its just important to know that sort of stuff.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:33 am

Where the hell are you guys camping???!?!??!!?
Geez I worry more about falling off a cliff. Camping means getting away from it all, including all those society-induced fears. I understand that it's different for a woman, but if you get far enough away, all you have to worry about is one's own stupidity.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:07 am

it's different for a woman, but if you get far enough away
I don't know about that. About 6 years ago I took a group of boy scouts ages 14 to 17 on a trek in Colorado. We were pretty deep in the backcountry, about 3 days in, on a minor peak and they spotted a solo hiker when just a speck on the horizon. We watched the hiker approach and I swear one of the boys thrust his nose into the air and declared "I smell woman" Sure enough it was a young lady about 23. She was heading back to where we had begun. The boys gathered around her like she was the last woman on earth. I think some of them were already thinking marriage. We had group photos with her and parted. It was comical hearing these boys arguing over who saw her first as if that gave them right of first refusal. One declared that he was going to marry a "backpacking chick"

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:24 am

She sounds more like she was idolized, and not in danger. That was more my point.
I have a friend who had a cougar encounter a few years ago. While it doesn't keep him from the woods, it's made him a bit paranoid. Now he's seriously considering handguns, rifes, etc for hikes.
It's statistically far more dangerous driving to the woods than the perceived danger once yer there. If yer camping at an interstate rest stop, that's an entirely different matter.
I just think we all live in way too much fear these days, and it's totally compromising our daily state of being.
Who can blame us, with the word "terror" now in our daily lexicon? Screw that life is too short. Keep a clear head and use common sense and everything will turn out OK.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:32 am

First off thanks for the suggestions of being loud and making a rucus, makes sense. Made me remember a gift I received after my near shooting encounter, by the way, I no longer like guns and only used mine for skeet and target practice, times are way differerant now. I found the gift packed away, it is a sirene you put on a large battery with a long switch line. Its called a "Panic Blaster" :bom: It will be with me!

And I have no fear of true wilderness, really love it and have met many woman that do the Pacific Coast Trail from Mexico to Canadian borders and other ones by themselves. They are a real inspiration as many are much older than I. It is the road trip, needing to stop at unknown places to sleep that gives me cause to be prepared. Lots of creepie people out there :alien:

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:48 pm

I hear ya Barb, and I'm just a big Midwest raised lunkhead "you talkin' ta MEEE?". Ya know, stay of the interstates and you should be OK. That's like a detour from Real America, I met nothing but good folks on many cross country adventures on state and US highways. Ever read that book Blue Highways? Interestin'.
Happy trails! :flower: