Man I love driving my VW

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Man I love driving my VW

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:12 am

Yes this is a lame post, but I just had to say I love driving my VW into work every day.

It's slow and has no tunes but damn does it have style :rr:

I can't help but smirk as all these regular Joes pass me by in their 4 door sedan painted in one of the usual blah colors. Sometimes I even entertain myself by making up little songs about how lame their car is or how cool I am :cheers: Like I said this was a lame post.

It is a great feeling though when I do pass another VW and get the wave or thumbs up. You just know they are digging it tooling along in their own little chunk of commuting paradise.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: Man I love driving my VW

Post by spiffy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:19 am

Adventurewagen wrote:Yes this is a lame post, but I just had to say I love driving my VW into work every day.

It's slow and has no tunes but damn does it have style :rr:

I can't help but smirk as all these regular Joes pass me by in their 4 door sedan painted in one of the usual blah colors. Sometimes I even entertain myself by making up little songs about how lame their car is or how cool I am :cheers: Like I said this was a lame post.

It is a great feeling though when I do pass another VW and get the wave or thumbs up. You just know they are digging it tooling along in their own little chunk of commuting paradise.
Definitely not a lame post! When I drive my bus to work it is great to relaxingly watch the world go on around you....I giggle every time I see a stressed out meglomaniac screeching into his cell phone whilst swerving in and out of traffic so that he can get to work 30 seconds earlier then if he had just gone the speed limit. Meanwhile, back in the bus, I am calm and just enjoying the ride and the sound of my favorite sewing machine. :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:33 am

I love driving home from work in my VW, wind in the hair, children of the ghetto pausing their bball game to point and wave. Got caught in a sexy lineup on the freeway with a black and gray vert beetle and a turquoise split DC w/ canvas top. They where strugglin to keep up too!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:46 am

I always think "man! This car is almost 40 years old and still functional! Wow!"
What are people thinking? How do they get so bamboozeled by plastic flash? Stuff's go no substance for $20000 yet they keep linin' up...

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 am

bad "hiphop influenced" music + fast cut editing = marketing genius!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:12 am

hambone wrote:I always think "man! This car is almost 40 years old and still functional! Wow!"
I think the same thing sometimes too. 43yrs old and the car is still ticking away.

Also makes me think of this old car commercial on TV where the narrator says "would you ever buy a car without seat belts or a car with no air bags..." I can't remember what car it was but always laugh and think how obvious it seems that you'd get a car with those things, but my answer still happens to be Yes, yes I would :)
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:14 am

I've seen that same ad, an thought the same thing! Fear seems to be just as a powerful influence as "status".

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:42 am

I was just driving my bus last night, it accepted on-ramp duties so willingly. I told it, "there are fast double-trailer gravel trucks bearing down on us, we have to wind out here. . ." so it allowed a crisp 4,500 rpm shift from 3rd to 4th with no complaints. How could you not love that?
I was thinking, I really should get out and drive this thing more often. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:28 pm

There's really nothing else quite like it. The commanding view, the big steering wheel that you can rest your arms on, the smooth response form the the engine, it's comforting growl. I just love it, driving anything else just pales in comparison.

I LOVE MY BUS!!!!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:13 pm

Good show on the History Channel that my wife and I ate breakfast with....the history of the Volkswagen...great way to start the day and seeing endless parking lots full of brand spanking new VW busses evoked the morning woodrow wilson.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:01 pm

"I was thinking, I really should get out and drive this thing more often. . . "
Hey! that's a good idea. Maybe you could give advice along the way? Just thinkin'. :cheers:

PDX_Hops
Getting Hooked!

Post by PDX_Hops » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:41 am

Sometimes I wish my commute was more than a mile and a half! Well, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but those 10 minutes on the way home are often a lot more enjoyable than the 8 hours before! :bounce:
'76 Westy Weekender- "Fran"

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:32 am

I drive my bus to work a few times each week. Unfortunately my commute is only a few miles. The ride to work is ok - as good as any while going to work - but the ride home is where it is at. Pop on some tunes and then I will take a longer route home along some country roads just enjoying the ride. The thrill of cruising at 55 mph in my bus or maybe pushing up to 60-65 is amazing. I have owned fast cars but for some reason as I get older the bus is definitely where it at. Ive owned my bus for 5 years give or take a day and have only had 1 ticket since. Before that I was not so fortunate.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI