What film did you rent or see last night?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: What film did you rent or see last night?

Post by turk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:01 pm

I rewatched Tokyo Drift the other day, along with Transporter 2 and 3.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
static wrote:"True Grit"

Amazing. Jeff Bridges is god. Supporting actors fantastic. Costumes and sets very, very well done. Highly recommended. Not for the squeamish.
I really liked "True Grit". I actually went to a multi-plex theater and paid money. It's probably been a decade since the last time.

And like airkooledchris, when I first heard the movie was released I was confused, a remake of a John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn classic? Why bother. I was dismissive. Eventually information filtered down and I became aware that it was a Coen Brothers movie.

Say no more!

Loved the turns of dialogue evocative of the era. Truly gritty, and Jeff Bridges is the dude of gods.

But that wasn't what I watched tonight. Apparently the "Librarian" epochs were a made for television series of three produced. So tonight I watched the first of the three, vs, the third of the series I had watched the other night.

Was grateful Bob Newhart was still involved, which is what caught my attention in the first place. They have fun with the genre, and Jane Curtin is another natural draw for me. Being the son of a Librarian, it rocks.

Bob's first fight scene is a classic, but I also have to say that dialogue such as "They're in cahoots...." "I've been cahooted." and "I don't see much cahooting going on." made it for me.

Sure it's cheap compared to the eloquent turns of phrases in "True Grit", but it was made for TV movies, and cahoot is a funny word. "The Librarian" series gets a big thumbs up of fun from me.

neal
I have high hopes for this movie. I didn't resonate with the original much, except some small parts. Maybe I missed the point. I often do. I think my friend was into it. I think it coulda been so much better. I liked Kim Darby and Glen Campbell and John Wayne was John Wayne for the most part. I liked his grizzled hard drunk character and some scenes, but still I wasn't that impressed. I liked him better in other films.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:35 pm

I recommend 3 Godfathers with John Wayne.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:57 pm

zabo wrote:corvette summer - free ondemand
And? And?

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:16 pm

"The Rocker" with Rainn Wilson. I must have been asleep when they released this movie. It was in the "vaguely amusing, mildly worthwhile if you want to watch a your teenage son, but don't go out of your way to rent it" category. Fans of "The Office" will appreciate the leading actor.

I got it because I really like to watch rock & roll-related movies, but this one was not nearly half as good as "Still Crazy" which I highly recommend.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:12 pm

static wrote:
And? And?
That is one butt-ugly 'Vette. Started it last night, but still have an hour to go. I like Annie Potts in it. I added "Two Lane Blacktop" to my que, no instant play. Watched it quite some time ago and liked it.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:24 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
static wrote:
And? And?
That is one butt-ugly 'Vette. Started it last night, but still have an hour to go. I like Annie Potts in it. I added "Two Lane Blacktop" to my que, no instant play. Watched it quite some time ago and liked it.

neal

I watched this in the 80's!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 pm

I thought that was Mark Hamill.

neal

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Tideland...

Trippy.

Jeff Bridges has come a long way from Tron...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Gypsie wrote:Tideland...

Trippy.

Jeff Bridges has come a long way from Tron...

lol, trippy indeed. Terry's intro was as darkly disturbing as the movie. That one sears into the brain a bit.

neal

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:57 am

"Due Date" with Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis.

Odd, unsettling but a good use of highly-talented actors in an otherwise predictable script. Would have been nice to see on a big screen while totally baked (not that I am suggesting such unwise and possibly harmful activities, ya know).

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 am

"Tiptoes" with Gary Oldman and a bunch of other actors. Dwarf actors, that is.

What an odd film. I mean, a film with a French, gun-toting, Marxist dwarf is, by definition, odd, right?

Not recommended.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:32 pm

The Mother. Anyone else seen it? It is difficult to describe.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:33 am

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice". I'm not a big fan of Nicholas Cage, but he's OK in this. If you like visual effects, this is totally watchable, entertaining and instructive. If you don't, it isn't.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:45 am

A&E biography on Bob Dylan...I've seen this one before, but its been a while....great commentary and clips of interviews at several times throughout his life, but he has always been relatively tight lipped with reporters....
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

1974 VW Westfalia (The Treehive aka the Hive)