More hubcap art

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:46 pm

I was hesitant to write that observation at all for fear it might be misinterpreted. Please don't take that as an insinuation that merely because you have an interest in warfare I automatically perceive you as having an unhealthy view.

I have visited a few battlefields and there were always individuals present that amazed me with their knowledge of events. They seemed to know more than the Docents. In every instance they spoke of strategies, manuevers etc as if they were discussing a chess game. I dont think their fascination was with the death and suffering but with the cause and effect of decisions made by leadership. I never went away thinking they saw war as something positive. I think they may have seen war as a necessity.

I accept those willing to fight. The world as it exists today requires it.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:13 pm

I worked on this for a long time, not really all that good, but I was determined to finish it with Colin's artwork going on. I just suck at abstract art, period. The next one I have already started on, will be more simple, but better.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Looks good. I wish I had talent like that. =D>
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 pm

gmag69 wrote:Looks good. I wish I had talent like that. =D>
Strictly heredity, I have had this all my life. Problem is, my near vision is beginning to go, and with it the ability to paint in detail. I really wish I had formal training as a lad, no telling where I could have gone by learning shades, contrast, light, and more techniques. Like Colin, if he had formal training to carry his ability further, he could be in the The High Museum of Art here in Atlanta as opposed to making Busses and Bug's in a calendar. Oh the shame!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 pm

That sir, like art school, is a crock.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Sylvester...what kind of paint do you use?

I'm an abstract painter and would love to do this sometime. Do you paint the hubcabs a solid color first?

thanks,

dave!
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 pm

hambone wrote:That sir, like art school, is a crock.
Actually, it was a joke, on the part of Colin since he has more talent than I have ever personally seen. His art, if he did more of it and for a living, would be very widespread and in demand. On my part, I think a good school could teach you things that could expand your abilities, like I can't do abstract, or make new shades and colors, and can't do living things.

Is one of these things I bring up the crock you refer to?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:25 pm

dhoch14 wrote:Sylvester...what kind of paint do you use?

I'm an abstract painter and would love to do this sometime. Do you paint the hubcabs a solid color first?

thanks,

dave!
Abstract, I wish I could do that. I use acrylic mostly, because I have a lot of it. However, it can take many coats to get it on there, like painting white on dark blue. However, if you goof, it is easier to fix. I also use enamel, you use that and it is one coat, period. Enamel is also what I use for the solid color of the hubcap. I really don't know why I continue to paint on them, I guess because I have never seen anyone do it to this degree. I do paint on other things, this is just a challenge and if I like it, it goes on the Bus. Do you have any pictures of some abstract art you have done?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:38 am

Here is the simple one, can't mess up with this one, and no abstract. I may do all the colors of M&M's if I can get some more big hubcaps, I am out. I have to stop doing copyrighted stuff, someday I may want to sell these without Mars (TM) hunting me down for money.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Green ones make you horny.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Green ones make you horny.

-John
Then that shall be the next one, ya horn dog. I am doing the next one all in enamel, it took five coats of red acrylic to get that one painted, and three times over for the m. Enamel as I said, is once, ask a modeler. Oh yeah, one more thing. I got a low rider radio controlled Split from a friend of mine, did not know what to do, until I realized I am going to paint it too. Any ideas? It looks like this:

I could do a "Pimp My Bus" look, whatever that is.

Like this:

Or this:

Or this:

Oh dear, how shall I makeover this poor toy?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Sylvester wrote: Image

People are just . . . wrong.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sylvester wrote: Image

People are just . . . wrong.
Colin
I'd roll it! 8)

As for the toy I'd do either the one above or personally I like Turkis.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:28 pm

I finished all the hubcaps I had, I need to get more. Got any used ones taking up space? I can use them! Let's talk! Hubcaps are my canvas.

Not sure if I am finished with this one, I think it needs more on the sides. I think the radio controlled VW Bus is next.

I got it from this poster:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:33 pm

That's a depressing movie.