hey florida folks

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zabo
Old School!

hey florida folks

Post by zabo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 am

jivermo, vw treasure and anyone else. y'all doing alright?
60 beetle
78 bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: hey florida folks

Post by Jivermo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Ok, here. High winds and rain in Miami, some big trees down and roads blocked. Personally, I am ok in my Pennsylvania cabin, and my family is sheltered well in Miami, although power has been out for hours now.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 am

Here in ole homosassa we are in the eye now so it's Finally calm. We should be good now cause it's down to a cat 1 and falling. Power is out of course so we will be "camping from home" till it comes back!
Hope everyone else fared well!
Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 pm

weisswurst wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 am
Here in ole homosassa we are in the eye now so it's Finally calm. We should be good now cause it's down to a cat 1 and falling. Power is out of course so we will be "camping from home" till it comes back!
Hope everyone else fared well!
Jeff
How did my furry friends make out? Did their homes survive the deluge/winds? I need to visit them and you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 am

we did pretty good, lost a few trees and flooding out back. After the eye and then the reverse winds at the bottom passed I Went out to let the chickens/turkeys out and had a big gust almost sweep me off my feet! Took a death count and we only lost one baby turkey (he got trampled in the lock up during the night) poor guy
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 am

glad everyones alright- we had a bunch of fallen trees in our neighborhood - only lost a few limbs at our house.
But have no power. Sorry about your turkey friend.
60 beetle
78 bus

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Spent the last four days unloading my house and garage in Flagler Beach, intra coastal swamped us with 4+ inches of nasty flood water. Had to dump a bunch of furniture and take sheet rock and insulation off and out of walls respectively. The only good news is that Layla survived with nary a scratch, water went up to just below the bottom of the rims in the garage. We were very lucky as compared to many in our area, entire houses of belongings were out by the roadside waiting for the city to take them away, our pile of cabinets, furniture, etc. wasn't nearly as big.

We thought we had dodged a bullet when Irma headed to the West, not possible when you're dealing with something much bigger!
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Yes, we were fortunate. This time. My son Wyatt pulled my bus into the barn, and screwed the sliding door shut with long Tapcons. Andrew had ripped the door off in '92, when he was a boy, and he recalled that it took 6 men to lift it up, and replace it on its track. It was 50 feet away. Global warming. Nah. It's a fig newton in someone's imagination, by gum.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 am

Jivermo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm
Yes, we were fortunate. This time. My son Wyatt pulled my bus into the barn, and screwed the sliding door shut with long Tapcons.
Read this sleepy after a few glasses of wine, and you too will wince at what I thought was pure Volkswagen Vandalism.

:cyclopsani:

Glad you're all safe and relatively unscathed,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 am

No Volkswagens were harmed during the protection of property, prior to the pummeling. Pandemonium prevailed for a period, putting people in peril, and playing havoc with the power. Plants, mostly palms, perished. Now, for the moment, peace. It's practically placid at the place. Preparation payed off.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 am

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 am
Jivermo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm
Yes, we were fortunate. This time. My son Wyatt pulled my bus into the barn, and screwed the sliding door shut with long Tapcons.
Read this sleepy after a few glasses of wine, and you too will wince at what I thought was pure Volkswagen Vandalism.

:cyclopsani:

Glad you're all safe and relatively unscathed,
Robbie
Yes, Robbie, you remember perhaps the sliding door vandalism that was RustyBus (rip)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles