Vanlife article

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Vanlife article

Post by Jivermo » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Please forgive me the use of the trite, overused cliche of recent coinage, but "it's all good!" I just returned from a 4300 mile trip through the American Southwest, with my good friend Zeke, in his 1987 stock Vanagon. He lives aboard a sailboat in Seattle, or, in the Vanagon. He picked me up in Southern California, and, starting in Death Valley, we spent almost 6 weeks camping in California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. It was an abbreviated Vanlife, but it certainly gave me a taste of what two people need to do if they expect to live in a van without killing each other. We met a handful of people in Vanagons or air cooled busses, and the camaraderie, of course, was outstanding. I know a couple who had lived in theirs for 4 years now, another couple for 1 year, and we even met a young honeymooning couple, in their 20's, in Chaco Canyon camping in his mom's one owner '69 Bay. I met a 69 year old guy who lives in Furnace Creek, Death Valley, who works for the park concessionaire. He was sitting in the parking lot there, with his sliding door open, drinking a beer. His 1969 tin top bay "would be my last car" is what he told me. "I love this thing.", he said. Point is, there are a whole bunch of folks traveling around out there, using these vehicles as they were intended to be used, and that is good for all of us. This means, more VW's being saved from the scrapyards, more demand for continued QUALITY parts supply, more people interested on proper repair techniques, and more stops for Colin, so that he can make his living doing this thing he loves. I don't want to go to museums or car shows to see a Vanagon or air cooled bus. I want to see one, like I did, coming up the wash boarded Hole in the Rock Road of the Escalante, raising a great billowing cloud of dust, with a grinning, bearded visage staring out through the red streaked windshield. Keep 'em Rollin'.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat May 20, 2017 11:31 am

Sounds like a cool trip ! and yeah i agree, its great o see these vehicles being put to he test, put to full usage. Thanks for the report.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 20, 2017 6:20 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:04 am
chachi wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 3:19 pm
the more time i spend in the vanagon scene, the more i think it's just the VW for jocks and popular kids. give me the cantankerous greasy weirdos of the bus world EVERY SINGLE TIME.

HEY! I can be just as cantankerous, greasy and weird as any of youse bus-drivin' clowns.
Don't be judgin'...

No, SlowLane, we cannot judge you . . . ever.
Colin :cyclopsani:

BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles