Insurance Companies to use

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drozdenko
I'm New!

Insurance Companies to use

Post by drozdenko » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:57 am

After some calls to my insurance company I recently found out that my bus is only covered to book value which isn't too much.

So after a couple emails to various insurance companies (Condon Skelly, Hagerty)

The coverage seems to be very specific, but what I'm looking for is a policy that covers car shows, camping and any misc trips). It's like a daily usage policy but not that many miles and mainly on the weekends. And I would like a replacement value $15-20k

What companies to you guys use?

Thanks.

Lee
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Re: Insurance Companies to use

Post by RussellK » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:06 pm

I have Chubb on my '77. They say I'm covered for basically the usage you described. I'm covered for $14000 value. Premium is $271 per year.
They do require that the car is garaged. I asked them to specify in writing their accepted use and their response to my insurance broker was this:

" Jxxxxxxa,
This is a great example of how Chubb is different than other carriers. We often hear of policies excluding coverage because a collector vehicle wasn't used in accordance with that carrier's expected limited parade or a weekend drive. Two scenarios that we hear are most often denied by the other carriers, we don't decline.

We understand that just because someone drove their collector car to work to show it off on a sunny day does NOT mean it's driven to and from work 5 days a week! Or, if after driving around on a Sunday in May, our client stops at the grocery store to pick up something to grill, that's fine with Chubb - we wouldn't deny coverage on the basis that it must be an "every day use" vehicle that you take grocery shopping each week.

In the policy Exclusions:
We do not cover vehicles used for a fee, racing or track usage, vehicles driven for business or occupation, or by a person under 25 or while it is being used for purposes other than as defined in the definition of a Collector Vehicle.

The contract definition for "Collector vehicle" means any vehicle shown as a collector vehicle in the Coverage Summary that is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, functions of public interest or for a private collection, and is used infrequently for other purposes.

The approval of this coverage when written did include the understanding that it is occasionally taken camping and for weekend drives.

Examples of when this would no longer be acceptable:
Left at a campground all summer as a vacation "residence", rented out on weekends for others to take camping, driven by anyone under 25.

This would be a great opportunity for the agency to make mention that Mr. and Mrs. Kxxxxxx are welcome to refer their friends in the Auto community back to D&H to entertain their Collector Car coverage, and see if Chubb would be the right fit for them, as well! "

I asked specifically about camping and was told I would be covered under "'used infrequently for other purposes" . I don't have any experience with them regarding claims and I hope I never do. Good luck Lee with your research. If you find any carriers out there that look promising please share them.

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:25 am

Thanks, I'll check Chubb out today.

I'll let you know if I come across anything better.
Thanks
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 am

I just got off the phone with Chubb and they said no go, only car shows. No camping allowed

So back to square 1
Thanks
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:52 am

That worries me. I think I better hang on to that letter I have but it's going to nag me if push came to shove how much weight will it carry. At a car show I asked a AAA rep if he'd cover my intended use at value and he was all about it.....until it came time to write the policy. State Farm too.

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:33 am

Our buses are not show cars. We use them daily and they are not garaged every night, or any night for that matter.
We insure our cars on our regular Wawanesa policy. No mileage limits. No garage requirements. No inspections needed. No worry about camping or a trip to the grocery store or Home Depot. The value is not stated value but fair market value. Fair market value is just that...what it is worth. In the past 20 years we have (unfortunately) 3 vehicles (not VWs) that were totaled. In each case we did our research, figured out what the car was worth and waited for them to come up with a number. In all cases the value they determined was higher that the amount we thought the car was probably worth. Cost is under $200 per year.
If we had perfect, high end buses then a policy with a high stated value might be worth it. Just not in our case.
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 pm

I called State Farm too. Same response.

Best feedback I got so far was from safeco, they want my entire auto/home/umbrella policy. But quotes so far are pretty good, value is 25k

I told them how I use it, not a daily driver but for everything else. Let's see how the policy comes back written up. :cheers:
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:00 pm

Yes , we just have our vws under a normal policy as well. (allstate now) The collector car policies seem to make having an old car pretty pointless. "only go to car shows" ughh :cyclopsani:
60 beetle
78 bus

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 pm

We have our Westy insured through American Family Ins. on a policy that allows its full use including camping. It is a market-value type policy. While it does no good to quote costs as everyone's risk/record is different, I would suggest you look into this company. If you get any runaround, I can put you in touch with my agent to answer questions.
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:13 am

How is market value determined? When I was trying to get State Farm on board, the agent asked me to produce evidence of the value. I supplied him with Samba, and Hemmings ads, photos of my bus, and offered to take it wherever they wanted for an appraisal. I wasn't asking for a value higher than what the ads were but the underwriter flatly refused to cover the bus at those advertised values. They wouldn't even make an offer at a higher premium. It makes no sense to me. They willingly cover my daily driver which is double the value of my bus yet won't cover an occasional use vehicle at half the value. What am I missing?

Squeebles
I'm New!

Post by Squeebles » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:58 am

I use American Family as a previous poster mentioned. The coverage includes camping. Market value was determined by bringing to a local auto body shop/restorer that the agent uses for classic and antique vehicles. His estimate was close to what mine was. Hope that helps.
1977 VW Bus, 2.0 FI

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 am

RussellK wrote:How is market value determined? When I was trying to get State Farm on board, the agent asked me to produce evidence of the value. I supplied him with Samba, and Hemmings ads, photos of my bus, and offered to take it wherever they wanted for an appraisal. I wasn't asking for a value higher than what the ads were but the underwriter flatly refused to cover the bus at those advertised values. They wouldn't even make an offer at a higher premium. It makes no sense to me. They willingly cover my daily driver which is double the value of my bus yet won't cover an occasional use vehicle at half the value. What am I missing?
You missed that he/she wasn't that interested in your business. I have State Farm and agreed on values on three classic VW's. They didn't require me to provide any proof. I simply stated what I wanted them insured at.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:34 pm

State Farm for many years.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:38 pm

That doesn't make any sense wcfvw69. Why wouldn't they want this business? State Farm covers my house and two other vehicles. The agent wanted to write the policy but the underwriter wasn't on board. Then again why did Chubb approve my use in writing at my stated value but turned down drozdenko? I might have to check out American Family if they are in our State

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Yeah, seems like the majority of the people I dope too have their bus's insured higher but don't mention camping and take the risk.

Safeco quoted my auto, home owners, umbrella and higher limit on bus with collision for about $125 cheaper then I'm paying now. $25k value. They said there's no limit to how/where I drive it based on 3 cars/2 drivers. Where the classic policy assumes just that 1 driver.

My current carrier MetLife said they would insure it at a appraised value only. I would have to set that up on my own and provide documentation for everything. In the end I might just go with safeco for price and conscience of having all my policies with 1 carrier us they give me better discounts.

I also tried American collectors but was so reluctant to say how I used the bus. I would rather pay a higher premium knowing covered.

I'll repost when I finally decide.
Lee
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)