Looking for a good rest stop, Illinois

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Looking for a good rest stop, Illinois

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:16 pm

We will be taking off for the first camping trip of the year at the end of June. We are heading from here (Mn) for the Great Smoky's. Our plan is to take off in the morning and make past the Arches and into Illinois. We will be traveling on I57 looking to find a rest stop to take a night rest at. The plan is to make it about 2hrs past the arches.

Anyone know of a good point to look for?
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Looking for a good rest stop, Illinois

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm having difficulty envisioning your route...of what Arches do you speak? Also I-57 heads South Westish.... wouldn't you be making your way more east for the Great Smoky Mountains (I was thinking more I-65)? I would seriously consider checking into a KOA, they are on the expensive side (IIRC abt $25), but safe(er) than a rest stop, esp. if traveling with family.

My wife and like to travel on our motorcycles, and we find the little mom and pop hotels (the ones you enter from a door on the outside) usually fit the bill nicely .... it's not uncommon to get one for $40-$50 a nite, and you get the added bonus of a shower!
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:42 pm

When I lived in the Midwest in the 1920's this book was really useful for finding the small, family run campgrounds that abound between the cornfields. You'd be surprised at how many there are.
https://www.woodalls.com/

Website

Woodalls.com provides online access to all of the campground listings that appear in the printed pages of the Good Sam RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory. The website complements the print directory by providing enhanced search functionality to make finding RV parks and campgrounds easier. Users can search by location or campground name, and updates are made frequently.

Users can also select from five useful tabs: Home, which includes the Campground Quick Search box and features an overview of Campground Resorts, Campground Videos and Online Conversations; Destinations, which gives readers a look at some of the top North American destinations; Forums, an opportunity to get involved with the most comprehensive online community the Open Road Forum, where RVers discuss all aspects of the RVing lifestyle; Blog, where RVers and family campers can explore interesting and informative posts and articles on everything from family camping and traveling tips to traveling with pets and tech tips & checklists to make sure you’ve got everything you need for the road; and Buy, where users can order the printed Good Sam RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory online through Camping World.

The Woodall's|AAA Regional Campground Guides

The Woodall’s|AAA Regional Guides are made up of seven different regional guides, that together comprises over 14,500 listings for campgrounds and RV parks across North America. Each guide contains all the information you need to know to get the most out of your RVing adventures.

The Good Sam RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory

The Good Sam RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory contains all 14,500 North America listings. The Good Sam triple rating that accompanies each campground listing in the directory gives readers an at-a-glance assessment of the campground's amenities, cleanliness and environment.

This is just one more reason the Good Sam RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory and Woodall’s|AAA Regional Campground Guides are the most trusted resource
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Might think about Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL (near Harrisburg). Nice geology and not very crowded as I recall.
79 VW Bus