Air-cooled Engine Building Correspondence Class

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Air-cooled Engine Building Correspondence Class

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:40 pm

I was just struck with an idea so keep in mind it's not yet well vetted, maybe there wouldn't be enough interest. The idea came to me while out in the garage visiting Spiderman. As a good Minnesota bus driver, I park my vehicle in the winter for rust concerns, but it also has the effect of recharging my love for the hobby. I tell you this so you will understand that I'm having "a moment".

Currently, I have a really good/fresh "barn find" engine that I'm using so this is not an urgent need. However, I've never rebuilt an engine yet I would like to and I would like Colin to teach me. Colin, I wonder if you were to do your thing whoever you were (like at Starbucks, perhaps) and I was to rebuild an engine in my own garage at the same time, if we could conference about the build and the next steps? If I could pay you for your availability, advice (especially for sourcing parts), and step-by-step knowledge would you be interested a 30 minute video one-on-one once per week? The exercise trainer at Anytime Fitness makes $40 per visit just for your reference.

Colin, I'm sorry for putting you on the spot. I was going to PM you but then I thought just in case this was a good idea then the IAC would want to hear it and encourage you. If it's not a good idea then that's ok too, but I actually don't think that's the case.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Air-cooled Engine Building Correspondence Class

Post by Jivermo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Good idea. I like it.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:10 pm

just start rebuilding it and post your progress in heavy detail here in the forums.

It's free!

I have most of the parts for a future T4 build myself and would also like to build one "some day"
1979 California Transporter

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:34 pm

airkooledchris wrote:just start rebuilding it and post your progress in heavy detail here in the forums.

It's free!

I have most of the parts for a future T4 build myself and would also like to build one "some day"
Yes, that's likely what I'll do when the time comes. I've sobered up a little bit. I just think in general video chatting is better for nuanced communication and it's faster than blogging. I'd pay money not to have to spend another 30 minutes at the keyboard. :joker:
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:just start rebuilding it and post your progress in heavy detail here in the forums.

It's free!

Yes, that's likely what I'll do when the time comes. I've sobered up a little bit. I just think in general video chatting is better for nuanced communication and it's faster than blogging. I'd pay money not to have to spend another 30 minutes at the keyboard. :joker:
you know that T4 rebuild DVD that Jake did forever ago?

I want one* from Colin

Admittedly, Colin's would be more like a "Time Life" series, where you get a new DVD each month for a year until the build is done.
At least, that's what id hope for. =)
1979 California Transporter

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:55 am

AKC-that is exactly what I was thinking. I have Jake's video. It has many helpful points, and is quite instructional, but there are areas of the build that are not covered, or not explained clearly. I would love to see a video project taken on, with Colin and an able assistant doing an entire tear down and build, explaining in great detail all of the nuances of these remarkable engines. If I am ever able to retire, i would assist in this, and even come up with some funding to further the goal. First of all-I'd set up a Crowdfunding page, and see if we can get some funds from the AirCooled community to help with the project. I helped a guy fund an entire artisan bakery this way, and it was very a successful effort. What needs to be determined is, at this later stage of the AirCooled lifespan, are there enough interested clients out there to warrant the effort.