[SOS] Vanagon broke down outside of Wichita, KS

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

pickledBus
I'm New!

[SOS] Vanagon broke down outside of Wichita, KS

Post by pickledBus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi all,

My father in law's 91 vanagon with a Tico engine decide to shear the bolts connecting the manifold to the head this morning. Luckily he was at a campground when it happened but now he needs a mechanic so he can continue on his trip back home to Tillamook, OR. He is going to try to take it to Ed Jones Automotive tomorrow. If anyone is in the area and could recommend a place if that doesn't work out or can lend a hand otherwise please send me a PM with your phone number and I will forward it along. Unfortunately he doesn't have internet where he is so phone is the only way of communication.

Cross posting from theSamba in the hopes of a wider audience.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: [SOS] Vanagon broke down outside of Wichita, KS

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:52 am

Assuming you mean exhaust manifold (vs the intake manifold) and are referring to the studs (not bolts) that hold it to the head . Not an easy job if they in fact 'sheared'; shop will probably want to drop the engine and remove the head if the stud is sheared off. If it can be drilled out, you can put a step stud in it.

Most likely, they didn't 'shear' but rather stripped out b/c of incorrect (over) torque. If they stripped out, should be able to drill and tap for a new step stud w/ the engine in the car (assuming the shop has a lift).

Worst case is you have to buy new/used heads. Good Luck.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:22 am

Foreign Auto Supply in Harpswell, ME is 207-883-0009. Jon is your Tiico guy to know.
79 VW Bus

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:03 pm

My bad... my advise was for a A/C Type IV .... completely different beast -like apples and hamburgers. Hope all worked out for you.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:25 pm

I know a guy who knows a guy in Kansas City.

http://dannybrownsauto.com

From what my friend tells me, this guy does good work.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"