Should I?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Should I?

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Well life and death and continuing Bertha concerns once again thwarted our plans for a leisurely two month road trip in Bertha this fall through the southwest.

Instead we find ourselves on an abreviated version turned upside down flying into Phoenix and renting a Chevy Sonic LT last Thursday for a run to Alamagordo via Tombstone Friday night, onto Las Cruces Saturday visiting relatives and Alamagordo today to make my Father's memorial tomorrow morning,

We'll be a day late for our Santa Fe timeshare for a week a friend gifted us before hitting th Grand Canyon area and back to Phoenix to fly back home.

The Sonic has 34k miles on it, an auto trans, that I have yet to see exceed 4k rpm, being happy wth 3k at most from what we have asked of it.

Should I give it a go and wrap it up to red-line of 7 or 8k rpm just for fun just before returning it?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Re: Should I?

Post by Hobug » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:35 am

ruckman101 wrote: Should I give it a go and wrap it up to red-line of 7 or 8k rpm just for fun just before returning it?

neal
Absolutely, that's what rental cars are made for! :thumbleft:
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:31 am

DOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!!!!

I didn't go out of my way to beat on the Škoda I had in Finland last year, but I certainly gave it a workout. =D
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:18 am

Is it the 4-banger with the World's Smallest Turbo?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:13 pm

ruckman101 wrote: Should I give it a go and wrap it up to red-line of 7 or 8k rpm just for fun just before returning it?
neal
Give us the sound of the rev-limiter hitting, or it didn't happen . . . :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 pm

1800 four banger. Turbo? Not that I can tell by the performance. Re-checking the gauge, red-line is a touch above 6k rpm. We started with a full tank and have refilled twice to get us to Santa Fe. Limiter? Don't know about that. Red-line.

Las Cruces to Alamogordo was only an hour. We checked into our budget room and backtracked to White Sands for the afternoon and sunset before settling in for my Dad's graveside memorial Monday morning at 9 am. After that we headed north to our reservations for the week in Santa Fe stopping at pistachio farm roadside attractions and a petroglyph site before hitting Albuquerque for a visit with an ex-girlfriend and finally Santa Fe destination. We took yesterday to de-compress and went nowhere, today wandering down to the plaza in Santa Fe and exploring a bit. Lots of history. Churches, oldest house in America, and of course, chile lover paradise.

Tomorrow up to Taos, another Spanish era church, pueblo, scenic route, Kit Carson's house? Eh, not enough time to take it all in.

Friday? Hmmm, Los Alamos? Not sure. Saturday laying low in Santa Fe again before heading back to Phoenix via Grand Canyon camping for a night, Antelope Canyon, maybe four corners, another short visit with a friend and flying back Monday.

Too rushed always.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Didja make it back safe?

And did you exercise the engine??

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:06 pm

asiab3 wrote:Didja make it back safe?

And did you exercise the engine??

Robbie
Exercise the engine. I love exercising all non-VW bus 1600 engines.
"Hey, you don't spend days on end at 4,000 rpm you lazy Dodge Diesel. Here, have some rpms! Next time, you might be nicer to that poor VW bus you just blanketed with a smoke screen."
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles