It would seem I'm going to be visiting Peru

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

It would seem I'm going to be visiting Peru

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Go figure. Kind of fell in our laps. Leaving April 30 for almost three weeks. I'm open to fantastic tips of extraordinary touristy pursuits should anyone have any.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: It would seem I'm going to be visiting Peru

Post by Westy78 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:23 pm

I've always wanted to go to Machu Picchu.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Try the guinea pig, I hear it's tasty.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:11 pm

Most likely not, especially if it's served with head still on. Besides, as a child, I experienced the joys of guinea pigs as pets. What were my parents thinking? The one thing I learned though, was that you should never, ever, pick up a guinea pig by it's tail. It pops their eyes right out of their sockets.

Reading up on Peruvian cuisine, was excited to note the chile pepper of choice is the ahi and roccota. Yeah yeah, I'm a chile head. My attempts to grow ghost chiles have been to no avail to date.

Planes planes and more planes. First stop Iquitos in northern Peru east of the Andes in the upper reaches of the Amazon basin. There are no roads into Iquitos. By river or air is the only option. Largest city perhaps on earth to enjoy that status.

Machu Picchu is on the itinerary at this point.

Anyone got a DVD copy of Werner Herzog's movie "Fitzcarraldo" I could borrow?

neal

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Don't think of them as guinea pigs .. think of them as cuy. =P

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Lucky bastard. I thought you were dead or somethin haven't seen you in months.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:18 pm

We'll still be going into debt, but we do have some patrons kicking in some funds for the production that offsets the costs, some.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:06 am

ruckman101 wrote: Machu Picchu is on the itinerary at this point.
neal
It is? Between California and New Mexico calls?
Colin :joker:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 pm

I have been there, and i don't think they eat guinea pigs. Not much of a trip if you ask me, I have been to better places.

http://www.cityofperu.org/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:09 am

Still planning a fall trip through the SW of this country. Have been planning it for three years now. Life to date has thwarted our efforts. California? That's usually a Maupin package deal. Maupin, yes, California this year not yet determined, unless it's in the fall as a return route from the SW.

Have to do Machu Pincchu before it's closed to the public because of the degradation to the site from the public trammeling it. 2500 members of the public a day visit.

We went for our immunizations a couple days ago. If it weren't for our excursion into the Amazon basin, really wouldn't have needed any of them. And sheesh, for the cost, we could have taken a third person. Cheryle already had already had her hepatitis A and B combo, but then there was yellow fever, typhoid, and malaria. The immunizations are good for ten years, so we better take advantage and hit all the highest risk areas to get our money's worth.

Did you get outside Lima pj? Cuy as a popular nibble has been mentioned in more than one of my google searches regarding cuisine. Along with beef heart chunks on a stick.

Our itinerary is still gelling out of a fog of "Wha? We're going to Peru? Really?" Our plane tickets are booked and we really are. The ethereal is gelling into the real world. Like below the equator.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:41 am

http://gosouthamerica.about.com/od/cuisine/a/cuy.htm

You never know. Sounds better than the crickets I shied away from in southern Mexico. I have enjoyed the bunny I've had in the past.

neal

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Hell Neal, I've only been to Peru Indiana, and trust me it ain't close to Lima. Sounds like you two are going to have a wonderful time, I'm sure though you will be disappointed cause really is there anyplace nicer than Amboy? :)

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Oh, that Peru. Well you're one up on me there pj. Although with this trip I'll now be able to say I've been in Atlanta, Georgia's airport to run to my connecting flight. But to date, I still haven't gotten to my toes in the count of states in this country that I've visited. Georgia will be further east for me, El Paso, Texas was the prior benchmark, via train.

My nephew dropped in for a visit today, who has been to Peru and Macchu Pincchu. I asked him about the cuy. He had indulged in that culinary experience. His experience didn't bolster my appetite. Breaded, deep fried, head on that looked to be screaming in agony by his account. They draped their napkin over the head, but still the delights of the entre escaped them. Greasy.

Hosted a fish taco dinner party tonight, and truly, guests oohed and awed at the awesomeness that is our abode atop Dunnigan Mountain here in Amboy. Similar oohs and awe were expressed at the awesomeness of the fish tacos. It's all about the mango/habanero salsa. Freshly cooked from scratch flour and corn tortillas clinched it.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Ok, it's real. Dropped Cheryle off at the airport Monday at 3:15 am to catch her 5:30 am flight, arriving at destination fairly early today, Tuesday. Grueling bit of air travel. Portland to LA, then to Atlanta, and the long haul to Lima, then a four or five hour layover at the airport for the plane to Iquitos.

First reports from Cheryle indicate a heavy pall of lawn-mower engine emission issues. Any vehicle there has been transported by river or plane. And hot.

Friday I get my second shot in the Hepatitis A and B inoculation investment. We've been debating the Malaria pills, but Cheryle has begun them. If I hear no horror stories of adverse affects, I'll probably get my subscription filled and follow suit.

It get's real for me next Thursday at 3 in the morning to catch my grueling yank through time and space to below the equator. Hello Southern Cross, goodbye Big Dipper.

neal

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 am

Have fun!