Diet Coke Aspartame

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Diet Coke Aspartame

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Don't know why, but when Jessica (of pearl-the-bus visit) told me that airline pilots were warned not to drink aspertame sweetened beverages, my feeble few neurons fired up and read up.

....................................................................................................# of people................(%) symptoms ............... me
Eye
- Decreased vision and/or other eye problems.......................... 140 ............................ (25%) ....................... X
(blurring, "bright flashes," tunnel vision)
- Pain (or or both eyes)..................................................................... 51 .............................. (9%) ........................ X
- Decreased tears ............................................................................. 46 ............................... (8%) ...................... X
- Blindness (one or both eyes)......................................................... 14 ............................... (3%)

Ear
- Tinnitus ("ringing," "buzzing")......................................................... 73 ............................... (13%) ................... X
- Severe intolerance for noise .......................................................... 47 ................................ (9%) ................... X
- Marked impairment of hearing...................................................... 25 ............................... (5%)

Neurologic
- Headaches ....................................................................................... 249 .............................. (45%)
- Dizziness, unsteadiness, or both................................................... 217 ............................... (39%) .................. X
- Confusion, memory loss, or both...................................................157 ............................... (29%) ................. X
- Severe drowsiness and sleepiness................................................ 93 ................................ (17%) .................. X
- Paresthesias ("pins and needles," "tingling") .............................. 82 ................................ (15%) ................. X
or numbness of the limbs
- Convulsions (grand mal epileptic attacks) ..................................... 80 ................................ (15%)
- Petit mal attacks and "absences"..................................................... 18 ................................. (3%)
- Severe slurring of speech ................................................................. 64 ................................ (12%)
- Severe tremors .................................................................................. 51 ................................. (9%)
- Severe "hyperactivity" and "restless legs" ...................................... 43 ................................... (8%)
- Atypical facial pain 38 (7%)

Psychologic-Psychiatric
- Severe depression............................................................................. 139 ................................. (25%)
- "Extreme irritability".......................................................................... 125 ................................ (23%) ...............X
- "Severe anixiety attacks" .................................................................. 105 ................................ (19%)
- "Marked personality changes"........................................................... 88 ................................ (16%)
- Recent "severe insomnia" .................................................................. 76 ................................. (14%)
- "Severe aggravation of phobias"........................................................ 41 .................................. (7%)

Chest
- Palpitations, tachycardia (rapid heart action).................................... 88 ................................. (16%) ............. X
of both
- "Shortness of breath"............................................................................ 54 ................................. (10%) .............X
- Atypical chest pain ............................................................................... 44 .................................. (8%)
- Recent hypertension (high blood pressure) .................................. 34 .................................. (6%)

Gastrointestinal
- Nausea 79 (14%)
- Diarrhea 70 (13%)
Associated gross blood in the stools (12)
- Abdominal pain 70 (13%)
- Pain on swallowing 28 (5%)

Skin and Allergies
- Severe itching without a rash 44 (8%)
- Severe lip and mouth reactions 29 (5%)
- Urticaria (hives) 25 (5%)
- Other eruptions 48 (9%)
- Aggravation of respiratory allergies 10 (2%)

Endocrine and Metabolic
- Problems with diabetes: loss of control; 60 (11%)
precipitation of clinical diabetes;
aggravation or simulation of diabetic
complications
- Menstrual changes 45 (6%)
Severe reduction or cessation of periods (22)
- Paradoxic weight gain 34 (5%)
- Marked weight loss 26 (6%)
- Marked thinning or loss of the hair 32 (6%)
- Aggravated hypoglycemia (low blood sugar.................................... 25 ................................. (5%) ..............X
attacks)

Other
- Frequency of voiding (day and night), burning 69 (13%)
on urination (dysuria), or both
- Excessive thirst 65 (12%)
- Severe joint pains.................................................................................... 58 ................................. (11%) ............ X
- "Bloat" 57 (10%)
- Fluid retention and leg swelling 20 (4%)
- Increased susceptibility to infection 7 (1%)

*****************************************************************************************

The tinninitus and low threshold for noise were very interesting, since hearing is so important to me, then I read about dry eyes and the pain and loss of vision (severe in the past year), then the memory deficits, and what I have been calling galloping old age, may be something different. I average 3-6 Diet Cokes per day in the summer, maybe 2 in the winter, cumulative effects noted in the articles discussing this,

The irony that Donald Rumsfeld was CEO of Searles when aspartame was certified with fraudulent doctored studies over the objections of many is not lost on me.

The severity of the symptoms I have accumulated over the years, demands that I cease my Diet Coke addiction at once, to see if I have a second chance at life without the above. I would love to lose this eye pain/floater/vision reduction, and I would love to lose the tinninitus, and heck, I could use some more brain function and less joint pain.

Do these studies just pick typical aging symptoms knowing that they will catch some suckers?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Diet Coke Aspartame

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Very interesting. Jess is a pretty neat lady, and I enjoyed speaking with her. She is a mean cook, too, and made some great vegetarian pizzas while they were here. I have tinnitus also, as well as joint pain and some vision problems. Have not touched a diet soda in decades, though. I do like a very large coffee in the morning, however. Maybe it's that...or 68 years of this planet.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:36 pm

I read a few years ago about Aspartame, Sucralose and Saccharin. The big three artificial sweeteners. Why? Because I couldn't figure out why I was feeling on edge, irritable and specifically, anxious with break through anxiety periods. I was avoiding all traces of caffeine since it's widely known to contribute to the same symptoms. At this time, I was working out and eating well. I was in my mid 40's. I then ran into an article about these symptoms online and it mentioned Aspartame specifically and it's side effects.

After reading the article, I dutifully inspected my kitchen and refrigerator contents. I was drinking a lot of low calorie lemonade and other diet or no sugar drinks. I was also supplementing my diet and work outs with protein shakes. So, I reviewed the ingredients in both of those two products. Yup, you guessed it. Both were LOADED with Aspartame. This was both very frightening and enlightening at the same time. Aspartame in particular, is very prevalent in a lot of foods due to it's high sweetening characteristics.

I spent a lot of time during further research online looking at artificial sweeteners and quickly decided I didn't need them in my diet any further. I switched to water and found protein powders without artificial sweeteners. My symptoms soon dissipated and I have no doubt that removing Aspartame and the other artificial sweeteners from my diet was why.

Colin, you should also visit caffeine and it's potential side effects as well. Pretty scary stuff.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:26 pm

If you want sweet stick with real cane sugar (its the real thing) and forgo all the fake sugars including high fructose corn and see how you feel.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:22 am

Bleyseng wrote:If you want sweet stick with real cane sugar (its the real thing) and forgo all the fake sugars including high fructose corn and see how you feel.
I know better, my body knows better, I have lived long stretches in the wilds with no such need, and felt vital and energetic, the day unfolds fully.

As soon as I get immersed in the noise and bustle of civilization, my social anxiety/boredom goes into sugar craving addictive eating mode, the day becomes a test of how to fill it with distractions.

I am a monkey.
Colinchimp

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:29 pm

I avoid carbs generally artificial or natural, except for a table spoon of honey in my tea in the morning.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:15 am

I don't have a link handy, but I read that the artificial sweeteners after being processed by the body can have the same effects as the real sweeteners.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:40 am

Although I'm ready to jump onto the anti-aspartame bus, there's this, from Wikipedia:

The acceptable daily intake (ADI) value for aspartame, as well as other food additives studied, is defined as the "amount of a food additive, expressed on a body weight basis, that can be ingested daily over a lifetime without appreciable health risk."[45] The Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) and the European Commission's Scientific Committee on Food has determined this value is 40 mg/kg of body weight for aspartame,[46] while FDA has set its ADI for aspartame at 50 mg/kg.[47]

The primary source for exposure to aspartame in the United States is diet soft drinks, though it can be consumed in other products, such as pharmaceutical preparations, fruit drinks, and chewing gum among others in smaller quantities.[8] A 12 US fluid ounce (355 ml) can of diet soda contains 180 milligrams (0.0063 oz) of aspartame, and for a 75 kg (165 lb) adult, it takes approximately 21 cans of diet soda daily to consume the 3,750 milligrams (0.132 oz) of aspartame that would surpass the FDA's 50 milligrams per kilogram of body weight ADI of aspartame from diet soda alone.[47]

Reviews have analyzed studies which have looked at the consumption of aspartame in countries worldwide, including the United States, countries in Europe and Australia, among others. These reviews have found that the even high levels of intake of aspartame, studied across multiple countries and different methods of measuring aspartame consumption, is well below the ADI for safe consumption of aspartame.[8][38][41][46] Reviews have also found that populations that are believed to be especially high consumers of aspartame such as children and diabetics are below the ADI for safe consumption, even considering extreme worst-case scenario calculations of consumption.[8][38]

In a report released on 10 December 2013, the EFSA said that, after an extensive examination of evidence, it ruled out the "potential risk of aspartame causing damage to genes and inducing cancer," and deemed the amount found in diet sodas an amount safe to consume.[48]

Your 6 Diet Cokes appear to be well within the safe zone, Colin. However, I'd sure stay away from them for awhile, and see if any of the symptoms disappear. Whenever I look to blame an outside source for some ailment of mine, real or imagined, Janet says to me: "Oh, come on, face it. You're just getting old." Dang, i just can't stomach that idea!

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:55 am

I quit drinking diet soft drinks (all soft drinks) about 7 years ago. Best thing I ever did! Every great once in awhile I will indulge in a mixed drink with soda, but that's far and few between.

I bet some of those symptoms get better if you quit, Colin! Water and coffee for me. Sometimes milk, sometimes beer! But almost never do I buy and drink soda!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:16 am

A great way to cut back, but enjoy it when you do want to partake, is being particular about what soda you will allow yourself to consume....

this is mine: http://www.hansens.com/us/en/products/s ... cherish-2/

No caffeine
No preservatives
No sodium
No high fructose corn syrup
No artificial flavors
GMO-Free

It's way more expensive than crap from Pepsico or Coke, so limit yourself to one every other day or so as a real 'treat.' Knowing it isn't part of my daily routine helps keep the cravings at bay.

Most health food stores and/or co-ops usually carry the stuff, as does many little markets and some chain stores.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:14 am

airkooledchris wrote:A great way to cut back, but enjoy it when you do want to partake, is being particular about what soda you will allow yourself to consume....

hansens black-cherry
I am Day Two no diet coke no cigarettes.

Life is meaningless.
Colin :geek:

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 am

Congratulations! :sunny:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:42 am

Nice!

Ready to kill somebody yet? :flower:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:48 pm

Minor pellagra symptoms occur with chronic ingestion anti-nutrients, "Corn Chips" "un-soaked beans" etcetera.
Pellagra symptoms are similar to some of those reported to artificial sweeteners and flavor enhancers like MSG.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:46 pm

poptop tom wrote:Nice!

Ready to kill somebody yet? :flower:
Not yet. I got a transitional device today:

a) e vape nicotine delivery device < for a buzz)

and am expecting one on Monday:

b) an 002 rebuilt transaxle that needs to be installed < for a distraction)

ColinWHATAREYOULOOKINGAT?? :angryfire: